The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Broken BOV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strykersgsx

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
I just purchased a '97 gsx and I am hearing a fluttering sound. Yes, I know that it could be boost surge but it could just be the standard greddy type s BOV. And has been debated over before.

My question being that when trying to diagnose this issue and determine the cause. I completely unscrewed the bolt on top of the BOV and it still held pressure. Now I know that it is releasing pressure when shifting via my boost gauge and sound at full boost. So what do you guys/girls think of this? Should I replace it or should I just let it be?

Thanks!
:dsm:

how do you know it held pressure ? did you do a boost leak test and see if it was leaking? or are you going by the fact that it "holds pressure while driving"?

I was in your shoes a while ago and I went a different route. start HARD and turn 1/2 for tuning. keep doing it until you start hearing the whistle. then adjust 1/4 or even 1/8 turns hard or soft until it doesn't flutter anymore.

also, check if you have any boost leaks.

The hose that runs from the BOV goes to the nipple on the intake next to the sensor directly on top of the intake. I cut both ends slightly and checked it for wear. I then removed the BOV from the upper intake pipe and made sure that the plunger at least moved. I then removed the set screw on the top of the BOV and screwed it back in just enough so that it would stay in there. Then tightened the locknut on the top. I also made sure that the nipple on the BOV was tight and seated. Now if I wasn't getting compressor surge then I would have a boost leak. However, I am getting compressor surge so that means that I must be holding preesure. Any ideas?

Okay, I made a mistake it's accually a type R BOV. Also I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the vacuum fitting that goes in the lower pressure housing of the BOV. I tried schucks and other parts stores and they only have standard fittings. I beleive that the fitting is metric. Thank you for your help! :dsm:

You loosen it. It's at least venting above one bar now. Before it wasn't venting at all. I called up greddy and got the part number. I ordered it through my local performance shop. But their greddy rep said that it was backordered. They gave me a time frame of 2 weeks to 6 months.
:cry:
I ordered a speed bleader that has the same threads. I'm going to run a drill through it and see that would work? :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back