The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

420A Broken bell Housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The bellhousing from 2000 and newer dodge neon transmissions will interchange. Some later 90's models may interchange as well as long as it's a hydraulic clutch. Can be from a dohc or sohc neon as long as the trans is hydraulic clutch the engine doesn't matter as sohc/dohc use the same engine block.

without seeing it, its hard to say, but you may be able to have the piece welded back on.

They are aluminum, unless the 420 trans is majorly different than the 4g63 transmissions. I can't imagine it being made out of iron of any type.

bell housing is aluminum.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey guys did a little bit of digging 97egl said that a 2000 and up transmission would work so in theory couldent I buy a mopar bell housing I found one on mopargiants I’ll drop a link or part number if anybody could confirm that it’ll work 5102888AA is the part number here’s a pic

I would just go get the whole transmission from the neon. The part you have above says it fits 03-10 transmissions so they must have made a design change to the transmission in 03 so the bellhousing may not bolt directly up to the neon transmission then.

You'll have a higher final drive ratio on the gears but that just means better gas mileage. I had a neon tranmission in my 97 talon back in the day and it still drove fine just less RPM

Dodge Avengers 95-99 are direct bolt in as stated by @BLACK'98DSM above but if you're getting one from a neon it has to have a hydraulic clutch not a cable clutch. (They changed from cable to hydraulic around 2000)

So guys I finally got the car back and took some pics do y’all think this should be welded or replaced? And if welded could it hold the pressure from the slave?
I’ll try and get pics from the slave part that broke soon

If you buy a bell housing you do understand the replacement requires complete transmission teardown.

I wouldn't say complete teardown. You're just separating the belhousing from the casing and installing the new one. And adding some gasket maker so it seals properly. Gearstacks and diff can stay in place.

You'll only be this deep in the trans. But diff still in place.

I would replace the whole thing. Welding it will take just as much work (removing the transmission, disassembly, etc.), and depending on who welds it, it will cost just as much, if not more.

If you have the means replace the stupid thing, welds look bad if you ever try to sell it or want to take it to a car show, there could be more damage than what you are having welded which means that it could break somewhere else, welding cast aluminum is asking for trouble because it becomes brittle when it gets welded, and if thats not enough reason, a new housing is simply going to be stronger than a repaired housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back