The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Broke tranny or case?!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looseboost

Proven Member
Sep 4, 2013
Denver, Colorado
I got the engine in a couple weeks ago got almost 800miles so far, today I went to get gas and was leaving the gas station I began to hear a weird sound I made a left attempting to turn into the napa so I could check it out however the car skidded kinda like an abs car would in a panic stop, then screeched to a halt, I couldn't even roll the car more than an inch, something is preventing it from rolling at this point, it goes into all gears and attempts to move... The tow truck gets here and the driver manages to get it to move under its own power however with extreme resistance, any ideas what would cause this?

similar situation happened to my buddy in his gvr4 and it turned out to be a siezed t case, it was locked and had to be dragged by the tow truck. we removed the t case from the trans and it was stuck onto the drive shaft due to the abrupt locking up of it. the t case had to be replaced and the drive shaft had to be fixed(warped splines)

Same thing happened to a guy from around here. His gsx locked up right in front of the police station of all things. Check the transfer case for LUBE and if it does have any see if its locked up also. Might have been a no maintenence thing.

I know there was a service bulletin/factory recall on the transfer case for the 1G's where they would bind. You were lucky it didn't bind flying down the highway. Check your VIN with the dealership to see if you can get one for free.

Thanks for the responses guys, t case makes sense as it goes into all gears and wants to move, I won't be able to pull it for a couple days hope it's not the tranny:pray: t case is not to hard to replace or find.

Do they honor 23 year old tsb's? :D

If this would have happened on the highway :notgood:

Definetly the t case, whoa was it empty! It didn't have any residue on it.. No idea where the fluid went. I actually called the dealer just for shi!$ and grins and they stated that the recall had been performed in 98 so I was s.o.l. I posted a pic.. Maybe it actually uploaded

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 66
Definetly the t case, whoa was it empty! It didn't have any residue on it.. No idea where the fluid went. I actually called the dealer just for shi!$ and grins and they stated that the recall had been performed in 98 so I was s.o.l. I posted a pic.. Maybe it actually uploaded

You did refill it after installing the engine right? It had to be leaking pretty good to lose all the fluid In 800 miles.

In my paranoia about my engine operating correctly and squaring away the initial bugs and leaks I had with that, I drained and refilled the transaxle however Ignored everything else:nono:, this was simply an error on my behalf. A fellow dsm'r sold me an extra he had for 50 so ill fill that one up and install it, I'll definetly be more mindful in the future. Thank you all for your responses

^^^^^
Agreed! I put all my stuff back together just to realize the S.O.Bin seal is leaking! I have to remove my exhaust just to get the Transfer case out. It's a real pain. It's semi-away for the winter so that, along with a long list of other things will be performed.
My brother actually had this happen at 5 points in town here 4 months ago! We jacked her up and changed out everything in the middle of the street in like an hour, traffic and all!

So the one I got from my friend. actually ended up being a 23 spline,WTF. Since the splines on mine were in good shape I cut what was left of the old bearing off of the input shaft with a cut off wheel, removed the bearing from the 23 spline shaft then pressed the bearing on my 22 spline shaft swapped the gears on the end and made a almost new 22 spline LOL:hellyeah: took way more time than that but that was the process in short, I do have a quick question however, if I place both cases with the output shaft on the cement and attempt to fill it from the top I lose fluid from the output shaft on both cases, is this due to the angle or from seals? I will replace the seals before it goes in however I'm curious.

@94allwheeldsm we have a 5 points here in Co. as well :D

So I noticed clock marks on the drive and driven gears of the t case with the. 23 splines, there were none on the 22 spline, did my best to line them up. Got it mounted and installed, will report back with info on my hybrid t case.

Since the t case was low/out of fluid it would be a real good time to check the REAR dif for fluid and change it out too. Just a bit of advice and Im a newbie.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back