The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Broke rear ABS sensors getting them out, options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
While removing nearly the entire rear end from my '92 Talon AWD TSi, I broke both ABS sensors trying to get them out of the trailing arms. In retrospect I should have kept them in and just disconnected the cable, but alas.

Anyway, both halves appear to be intact and I was wondering if I can just reinstall the top half and have them working again? There's one or two copper-colored wires coming out of them. If I reconnect the top to the bottom would that help?

Or are they toast, and if so, where can I get a decent set that doesn't cost the arm and leg that new OEM ones cost? And how do I remove the old ones from the trailing arms without damaging the arms?

Alternatively, if they're bad and I don't replace them, will the ABS light be permanently on unless I pull a fuse, even if the front ABS sensors are fine? Can I run with just the fronts, or is it an all four or nothing deal? If so, which fuse do I pull so I don't have to see that light all the time?

I don't really NEED ABS. In the 30 years I've owned this car the ABS has come on just a few times a year, in situations I probably could have handled without it. But, if there's an affordable way to have them working again, I'd prefer it. I'm talking no more than $100-$150 for both. total. Is there a way to buy only the sensor and splice them onto the cable, to save money?

I’ll give this a shot since it’s unanswered. My answers/experience aren’t DSM specific, just from general mechanic work.

If I’m reading this right, the wheel speed sensors were rusted into the trailing arms and broke in half as you attempted to remove them.

I’m afraid I’m going to be the guy with all the advice you don’t want to hear-

No, you can’t try to patch or splice these, you need to replace them.

No, ABS won’t be functional without them, and you’ll have a light on. It’s an all or nothing situation.

As far as saving money on the parts, maybe you can find used ones thru the known used parts vendors discussed in previous threads. However, after reading several older threads to try to find more helpful info for you, this issue is very common and it’s likely that they won’t be able to pull them either.

I hope the oem parts are even still available? I think here’s where you have to make the decision to properly repair or properly remove the ABS system.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back