The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Broke my radiator!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isantop

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2011
Denver, Colorado
So, I was driving down the street, when I noticed a bit of steam/smoke stuff coming out from under my hood. My valve cover has a small crack, so it's pretty normal for it to leak. I get maybe a wisp every few days, and it hasn't bothered me yet. But this was a really noticeable billow.

That when I noticed it was coming from under the car as well, and then out of instinct I looked down at the temp. gauge to see it pegged at the top. D=

I immediately pulled over and popped the hood. There was coolant everywhere. I couldn't figure out where it had come from, then I noticed that the upper radiator hose was disconnected. :hmm: A moment after I saw that, I saw that flange on the radiator was jagged and broken and that's what had dumped coolant all over the engine. :cry:

So here's the question. Do I need a whole new radiator, or can I get just the end cap and replace that? I'd hate to replace the whole radiator, because apart from this, it's in great shape and doesn't leak a bit.

This is on a completely stock 2G 4G63T.

Uhh, I recently had a similar boo boo with my OE rad., I'd say replace the whole thing. Less of an issue trying to keep it working or patching it up time after time.

Ended up using like......5lbs. of "quick weld" just keeping it running until I got a new one.

You can get a new end tank, but it will need to be installed by a radiator shop that has the correct tools, AND it will cost you twice as much as buying a brand new radiator.

Had an alarm shop slam my good from the top position. The guy just let it drop. Well the next day I went to the lake and I was stranded, he broke the neck. I have a fluidyne now but it doesn't perform like oem :(. I'd say replace the whole thing. It's a vital part don't skimp. Good luck.

Thanks for all the information. Here's my next question:

Where can I get an OEM radiator for a 2g? I have a feeling it will be less expensive than a lot of aftermarket pieces (at least anything worth buying), and I don't plan on building it out behind what a stock radiator could take anyways. Besides, apart from the plastic end caps (who's idea was that, anyway? When did metal end caps go out of fashion?), it seems to be a pretty solid part.

Thanks for all the information. Here's my next question:

Where can I get an OEM radiator for a 2g? I have a feeling it will be less expensive than a lot of aftermarket pieces (at least anything worth buying), and I don't plan on building it out behind what a stock radiator could take anyways. Besides, apart from the plastic end caps (who's idea was that, anyway? When did metal end caps go out of fashion?), it seems to be a pretty solid part.

An actual oem radiator from the dealership will cost you about 210 dollars. You can get an oem style replacement from rockauto.com for like 85 bucks. If you do decide to go with the oem one the part number is, MB906416

I had the same thing happen to me when I was living in LA. Steam spewing from under the hood when I pulled off the 405 in Inglewood at 11:30PM. Luckily enough of the outlet flange was left to reattached the upper hose and I was able to limp home.

Be on the lookout for coolant/oil/compression leaks at the head gasket, aluminum heads tend to warp when overheated.

The plastic tank ends is almost standard practice in these little cars since the 90's. Throw 100 thousand miles of heat cycles to them and they get brittle and break. We are actually restoring our cars one piece at a time. I opted for an all aluminum radiator because I was not going to risk another plastic tank failure. There's also all copper ones out there too. Just my .02.

The plastic tank ends is almost standard practice in these little cars since the 90's. Throw 100 thousand miles of heat cycles to them and they get brittle and break. We are actually restoring our cars one piece at a time. I opted for an all aluminum radiator because I was not going to risk another plastic tank failure. There's also all copper ones out there too. Just my .02.

Oh, I know. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it. How much money do you save going with plastic end caps versus an aluminum or steel cap?

My upper tank did the same 2-3 weeks ago. I got an aluminum radiator for ~$110 shipped. IMO it's cooling better and hopefully no future end tank issues.

My upper tank did the same 2-3 weeks ago. I got an aluminum radiator for ~$110 shipped. IMO it's cooling better and hopefully no future end tank issues.

Where did you get it from?

get a mishimoto aluminum rad.. same thing happen to my stock rad, the plastic gets brittle over time and breaks off easy, if you buy a used stock rad it may break again the same way. Why did they make it out of plastic in the first place kinda dumb. One thing to consider, if you get an aftermarket rad, you may choose one with a different outlet location, further away from the exhaust manifold may be ideal, depends on your setup.

Where did you get it from?

She's an eBay special. Wouldn't recommend much from eBay, but I've bought 2 others that have been in my parents vehicles for over 2 & 3 years with zero issues. Another all aluminum in my 67 chevy drag truck (that ones taken quite the beating and couldn't be happier with it :thumb: ). And now the one in the talon, was significantly better build quality than I expected for the price(looks as nice as any of the ones I've seen in person that cost 2-3 times as much) and it kept mine cool with no fans for 2 weeks, even in 90+ degree weather and the occasional traffic(don't recommend doing that, but it's something my stock radiator couldn't accomplish even on a short in town drive in 80 degree weather...I tried before getting my slim fans).

In other words I'm very happy with my eBay purchase.

As far as a lifetime warranty, IMO I'd rather change something once, instead of get a new one free every 5 years. :idontknow:

She's an eBay special. Wouldn't recommend much from eBay, but I've bought 2 others that have been in my parents vehicles for over 2 & 3 years with zero issues. Another all aluminum in my 67 chevy drag truck (that ones taken quite the beating and couldn't be happier with it :thumb: ). And now the one in the talon, was significantly better build quality than I expected for the price(looks as nice as any of the ones I've seen in person that cost 2-3 times as much) and it kept mine cool with no fans for 2 weeks, even in 90+ degree weather and the occasional traffic(don't recommend doing that, but it's something my stock radiator couldn't accomplish even on a short in town drive in 80 degree weather...I tried before getting my slim fans).

In other words I'm very happy with my eBay purchase.

As far as a lifetime warranty, IMO I'd rather change something once, instead of get a new one free every 5 years. :idontknow:

Warranties are for piece of mind more than crappy parts. Parts that are known to be crappy often don't have great warranties. Look at tools. Everybody says the best tools are Craftsman. By and large, they are. They come with a lifetime warranty.

As far as radiators go, can I mount my stock fans onto an aftermarket radiator? Like I said, I have a stock turbo, so I don't need the space. I'd rather use the stock fans, since they do move a lot of air.

Also, you don't happen to have the name of that ebay store, do you? I want to check it out.

Ya I understand what warranties are for, I just have more piece of mind not having plastic end caps that WILL eventually fail to heat.

I'm sure I can dig up a link and yes it has stock fan mounts welded to it, along with the "posts" on top to use your original radiator mounts.

DUAL CORE HIGH CAPACITY RACE 2ROW COOLING RADIATOR 95-99 MIT ECLIPSE/95-98 TALON | eBay

hopefully that link works. If not it is a dual core unit, seller is speed daddy. Its the same generic aluminum unit being sold by many ebay sellers, with prices ranging from that one at 117 shipped to over $200.

Ya I understand what warranties are for, I just have more piece of mind not having plastic end caps that WILL eventually fail to heat.

I'm sure I can dig up a link and yes it has stock fan mounts welded to it, along with the "posts" on top to use your original radiator mounts.

DUAL CORE HIGH CAPACITY RACE 2ROW COOLING RADIATOR 95-99 MIT ECLIPSE/95-98 TALON | eBay

hopefully that link works. If not it is a dual core unit, seller is speed daddy. Its the same generic aluminum unit being sold by many ebay sellers, with prices ranging from that one at 117 shipped to over $200.

Thanks! That seems to work perfectly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back