The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Brian Crower 280's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Something else you all might want to think about, HKS cams sell so well because they can be installed and be dead on, known for an easy install without adjustable cam gears. I would think at this price, you should step up and get adjustable cam gears to keep your bases covered and have options later to tweak them in.

Just a thought. :dsm: :talon:

Some music for the ears, HKS 272 intake and exhaust cam clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzuLA0DCWQE

That's a common misconception, there is no cam in the world that can be installed straight up and be dead on every time. Try degreeing a few dozen cams and you'll figure it out.

BlackHawkAWD91: I think if your block has been cut or you head has been cut it will make a difference... Like if the cams were fine 'straight up' on your car and all your stuff was factory stock and then you sold me the same cams, they may need to be degreed on my car since the head has been cut... You pickin up what I am laying down?

GVR4592: Do you have a process to get started on tunning some cam gears? My head has been decked, now it is gong to get smoothed out again and o-ringed and my block has been machined so I am pretty sure I will need to do a little 'degreeing' on my new 280's. I have no idea were to start and it sounds like you have some experience.

That's a common misconception, there is no cam in the world that can be installed straight up and be dead on every time. Try degreeing a few dozen cams and you'll figure it out.

I agree. I was stating cam gears on any car is a good idea to tweak them in. I also think some cams need more help then others to be perfect. I have only used HKS, so I use vendors and other performance shops to tell me the rest.

Quote from slowboyracing "With Crower, your going to want to seriously consider a set of cam gears as they are designed to be degreed in upon installation"

Also from sbr " HKS, No degreeing in, no odd quirks at partial throttle, just drop in and race!"

Thats just one example, but cam gears are always going to be recommended.

Just a quick question, on the sbr site it says to use the 280's with BC springs, is there any truth to this or would you still be fine with manley springs and retainers?

We had a in depth topic on NEDSM this past summer, here is some good info :

Crower

Valve lift 1.56" Load 70 lbs
Valve lift 1.10" Load 190 lbs
Spring rate 260.9 lbs
Coil bind 0.91"
Max Load 240 lbs

Supertech Single

Valve lift 1.56" Load 78 lbs
Valve lift 1.11" Load 200 lbs
Spring rate 271.1 lbs/in
Coil bind 0.96"
Max Load 241 lbs

Supertech Double

Valve lift 1.56" 96 lbs
Valve lift 1.11" 247 lbs
Spring rate 335.6 lbs/in
Coil bind 0.96"
Max Load 297 lbs

Manley

Valve lift 1.56" 72 lbs
Valve lift 1.05" 222 lbs
Spring rate 294.1 lbs/in
Coil bind 0.95"
Max Load 251 lbs

I think the manley springs would be fine, but to be sure... Call BC and ask, have the spec on your springs ready when you call. Oh and one more thing, post back here what you find out after you call for future searchers.

Here is there phone number if you are super lazy, press #2 for tech: 619.825.8719 ph

www.briancrower.com
[email protected]

I emailed them told them I want to go mid 11's, shifting around 8-85K maybe and that I was not afraid to over do it on the cams a bit, and that I had manley springs and retainers and asked if I should go with 272's or 280's

They responded: "If you prefer to over do it...definitely go with the 280 spec.

Thank you,

Brian"

I would assume that means it would work

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed them told them I want to go mid 11's, shifting around 8-85K maybe and that I was not afraid to over do it on the cams a bit, and that I had manley springs and retainers and asked if I should go with 272's or 280's

They responded: "If you prefer to over do it…definitely go with the 280 spec.

Thank you,

Brian"

I would assume that means it would work
What intake mani will u be using with these? Also what turbo?

Good info Mike, I wonder if Brian changed the specs on his springs versus what Crower provides. I know slowboy was using the manleys and Comp 400s all the way to 8500 or so and said they worked great.

Here is the info posted on BC's website. It matches the spec sheet I got with my valvetrain kit.

Spring Pressure:
BC1100 Seat: 1.500" @ 95 lbs / Open: 1.000" @ 235 lbs / Coil Bind: 0.910" (no machine work required)

My BC cam sheet recomends installing the Cams at 0deg intake & 0deg exhaust and tuning via adjustable cam sprocket, if aplicable. Has anyone had the dyno time to figure out what +/- advanced works best with these cams? 272 or 280 cams?

My BC cam sheet recomends installing the Cams at 0deg intake & 0deg exhaust and tuning via adjustable cam sprocket, if aplicable. Has anyone had the dyno time to figure out what +/- advanced works best with these cams? 272 or 280 cams?

Every car will be different depending on the thickness of your head gasket, if your block has been shaved, head decked... etc. I imagine on a perfectly stock motor, installing them straight up would work best if Brian's quality control is good.

scottsee, what cams do you have, have you ran them yet? How do you like them, how do they idle? Power increase? RPM Range? Thanks!

Looks like I know how to make some good threads... Keep the info coming :)

Just so everyone knows, the Brian Crower cams are the SAME as the CROWER cams. John is his dad and they are still in business together. Brian is just now heading up the R&D for the import division.

Oh, and they do make a stage 4 and 5. And even any kind of custom grind you may need. You have to contact crower for that though. We run a few sets of stage 4's. They are awesome. Pull very well on top and idle better than imagined. These would be the "288's".

Steven

Just so everyone knows, the Brian Crower cams are the SAME as the CROWER cams. John is his dad and they are still in business together. Brian is just now heading up the R&D for the import division.

Oh, and they do make a stage 4 and 5. And even any kind of custom grind you may need. You have to contact crower for that though. We run a few sets of stage 4's. They are awesome. Pull very well on top and idle better than imagined. These would be the "288's".

Steven

any sound clips of the BC280's I've heard the HKS's and i LOVE them

Every car will be different depending on the thickness of your head gasket, if your block has been shaved, head decked... etc. I imagine on a perfectly stock motor, installing them straight up would work best if Brian's quality control is good.

scottsee, what cams do you have, have you ran them yet? How do you like them, how do they idle? Power increase? RPM Range? Thanks!

I bought the 272/272 combo. Havn't instlled them yet. Wating untill I get the BC spings/retainers.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Steven

They are the same people (being that Brian Crower came from Crower), yes. The same Cams, no. The specs are differant. Here is a comparison of Brian Crowers '280'cam and Crowers 415's '288'. Crowers 414's '280' is not even close in spre to BC's '280'.

Specs from BrianCrower.com
Street/Strip Specification
Adv. Dur.: 280°/280°
Dur @ .050: 218°/216°
Lift (in): .422"/.418"
Lift (mm): 10.71/10.60
http://www.briancrower.com/makes/mitsubishi/4g63.shtml

Specs on Crower 415's from Crower.com
64415-2 Stage 4 - Full Race
Advertised Duration: 288 / 288
Duration @ .050": 218 Valve 216
Gross Lift w/1.7: .425" inch .416"/10.80 mm 10.57
http://www.crower.com/cat/import/mit...amshafts.shtml

Specs on Crower 414's
64414-2 Stage 3 - 3/4 Race
Advertised Duration: 280 / 280
Duration @ .050": 213 Valve 215
Gross Lift w/1.7: .411" inch .391"/10.44 mm 9.93

As you can see Crowers '280' dosent ever come close to the spec of BC's '280'. However BC's '280' is close in spec to Crowers's '288'. Can wait to see how they idle!

scottsee , did your cams feel really light? I thought mine feel very light... Like I had to open the box to make sure there is really cams in there.

What could cause this? Advantages, Dis-advantages. If this goes any further Ill throw them on the digi and take pics.

Your right. It just appears as if Brian has just moved the numbers down one. Numbers on comparable cams still seem to be the same. I was just getting at they are the same cam with different numbers. Stages that is.

Steven

scottsee , did your cams feel really light? I thought mine feel very light... Like I had to open the box to make sure there is really cams in there.

What could cause this? Advantages, Dis-advantages. If this goes any further Ill throw them on the digi and take pics.

My red BC box with both cams inside weigh 9.5lb.

Alright so the main question is that still has but hasn't been answered is how do the BC 280's compare to the HKS 280's?

Alright so the main question is that still has but hasn't been answered is how do the BC 280's compare to the HKS 280's?

The BC's are more aggresive. The BC's have more lift and durations at .5".
HKS cams are 10.3mm (.405") for intake and 9.8mm (.386")

Here are the spec on the DKS3's and they are copys of the HKS 280's
INTAKE
Max Valve Lift: .402"
Duration @ .050": 203 crank degrees
Centerline: 108 degrees

EXHAUST
Max Valve Lift: .382"
Duration @ .050": 203 crank degrees
Centerline: 108 degrees

Here are the BC 280's, compare them
Adv. Dur.: 280°/280°
Dur @ .050: 218°/216°
Lift (in): .422"/.418"
Lift (mm): 10.71/10.60

It seems as if the BC 280's are very aggresive, at least by looking at there specs and comparing to the other 280's out there (Crower and HKS)

so they're technically a little more cam than the HKS's, but they idle better than the HKS? Damn I love the hks lopey idle.. but for the price I think i might as well go with the BCs'... Happy New Years everyoen!!! Cause its been happy for me :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back