The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Brembo Upgrade on 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneslowwdsm

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2009
Spring, Texas
So i've done all my research and my taxes are about to hit the bank so i sourced some EVO 8 brembos for my car. I'll be using the brackets sold by the supporting vendors on this site. My only concern is the stock 2g master cylinder and brake booster. The main concern is how the pedal will feel with hard stops, does the stock 2g awd system hold up?

Peiple swap it to the 3g master andthe booster is swapped aswell. You can swap to the evo 789 mc and booster, ive got the evo stuff myself just not installed yet, works the same just ports from the mc is different locations. You will also need to change the lines to the mc aswell due to the flaring on them being different to the stock 2g lines,

Use the search and find all the threads on brembo swaps there are lots and lots of them here, People says its spongey and too much pedal travel

Well thats the thing I came accross only 2 threads pertaining to the master cylnder and they were very vague. One person said it's spongy while someone else said it's fine. There's no clear answer. I know there's going to be more pedal travel but is it to the point where it makes it hard to stop from higher speeds.

Right but is it necessary? I'd like someone to weigh in whos done the swap with the stock compenents.
Its only necessary to change the master cylinder. I personally don't believe the bigger brake booster is necessary even though I had reluctantly changed mine along with the MC.
The bigger master cylinder is the key. Can use the one from the 4 or 6 cylinder 3g eclipse or even from the same year galant. You will also have to change the flared ends. The stock mc ends/fittings are totally different with a different screw pitch as well. This is all well documented.

Last edited:
Well upon further research i'm gonna hold off until I blow something and have to pull the motor. I have the forrester intake mani which gives me zero room to get to the master, much less fiddle with brake lines. Much more work that i'm not motivated enough to do atm LOL

I am currently running evo 8 brembos on all four corners with the stock BB/BMC and it feels fine. Car stops amazingly quick at the auto-x stop boxes LOL. Although i have all 3g BMC/BB with all the swap components on hand, I too am just holding off until i have a reason to pull of the intake mani/head.

I am currently running evo 8 brembos on all four corners with the stock BB/BMC and it feels fine. Car stops amazingly quick at the auto-x stop boxes LOL. Although i have all 3g BMC/BB with all the swap components on hand, I too am just holding off until i have a reason to pull of the intake mani/head.

It's crazy that you auto x with the stock system. Does your pedal ever hit the floor? Do you have ABS?

It's crazy that you auto x with the stock system. Does your pedal ever hit the floor? Do you have ABS?

Nope, the pedal never hits the floor. and no i do not, the abs module is toast.
Honestly before i did the brembo swap i thought it was going to bottom out and feel mushy like everyone said but to me it feels pretty good, and i cant imagine how much better it will be after the 3g bmc/bb conversion.

Nope, the pedal never hits the floor. and no i do not, the abs module is toast.
Honestly before i did the brembo swap i thought it was going to bottom out and feel mushy like everyone said but to me it feels pretty good, and i cant imagine how much better it will be after the 3g bmc/bb conversion.
Same!!! And agree. Mine abs 2g gsx all 4 brembos stock booster/ lines most noticeable upgrade ever I'm a total bad ass now! Boom. Seriously man this has been covered like a lot:beatentodeath:. How about just do it then YOU decide if its spongy to YOU since its based on individual experience.:rolleyes:

To the OP, I think that what miliman13 said is your best answer. Since there is no actual data to give you a definite answer or since everyone's thoughts are different on everything and on regards to how the pedal feels, your best bet is to try it for your self, and hopefully you like it. If not well then you know for certain that it makes no difference or it really does make a difference. With out actual data no one might ever be able to answer your question. We will tell you our experiences but again, it will be yes I like it, no I don't like it, no difference to me. all across the board.
Good luck to you man.

I know I was the one sold on the 3g BMC/BB upgrade but I was running my Brembo setup off of a stock FWD brake system since my car was a GST. I can't comment on the stock AWD DSM BMC being too small but there was a noticeable difference going from the FWD to 3g BMC.

As far as the BB upgrade goes, the Mitsu engineers designed the Evo brake system with a 8+9 booster and 17/16" BMC so I wanted the same pedal feel. Switching the BB will only change pedal feel, making it easier to stop without pressing as hard with your foot, if you don't mind a firmer pedal switching to the 17/16" BMC then don't bother.

I know I was the one sold on the 3g BMC/BB upgrade but I was running my Brembo setup off of a stock FWD brake system since my car was a GST. I can't comment on the stock AWD DSM BMC being too small but there was a noticeable difference going from the FWD to 3g BMC.

As far as the BB upgrade goes, the Mitsu engineers designed the Evo brake system with a 8+9 booster and 17/16" BMC so I wanted the same pedal feel. Switching the BB will only change pedal feel, making it easier to stop without pressing as hard with your foot, if you don't mind a firmer pedal switching to the 17/16" BMC then don't bother.

I actually think I read somewhere that the AWD BMC is bigger than the FWD. Don't quote me on that as I'm not 100% sure. I know they have different part numbers though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back