The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

ECUflash Breaking up @ 5K +, scratching my head. Lean bandaid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProjectBroke

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2011
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hi all,

Currently messing with my brother's 98 GSX. We are running an EVO 8 ecu with 9653 Rom. We have an issue where hitting 5k+ will start to breakup/miss. On or off boost, doesn't matter. I can vary the fuel from 11.1-12.4 with no change.

I have noticed one thing that helps, going lean. Running a 13+ AFR (E85) causes the break up to disappear. Obviously this is too lean to run normally, Is this simply the fuel overpowering the spark?

We have tried:
93 or E85
No Boost leaks
New plug wires,
New plugs (BR8ES @ .023)
New PTU
More timing,
Less timing
Less boost
More boost
Tested the Coil pack
Added Grounds
Changed Cam Sensor

Any ideas are appreciated. I don't have logs on this PC, however they don't show anything abnormal. TPS at WOT is 93%, 10.8% at idle. AFR and Injector cycle stays steady.

1). Any boost, vac, or exhaust leaks?

Tested to 35 PSI no leaks.
2). Verified mechanical timing?
Everything is aligned
3). Verified base timing?
5*BTDC
4). Ignition system
COP or Stock Coil: Stock
Wire brand and Age: TAYLOR Race Wires 1 month old
Spark Plug brand, type and Gap: NGK BR8ES 0.023

5). Motor health (Compression Test)
Cylinder 1:150
Cylinder 2:150
Cylinder 3:145
Cylinder 4:150

6). Performed basic throttle body adjustments?
Idle Switch: Adjusted
Throttle Cable: Like it should be
TPS: 0.63 volts closed

7). Compression ratio
Assumed Stock

8). Any known bad sensors or brittle wiring?
Nothing that I know
9). Any DTC/CEL codes?
Nothing
10). Electrical system
Car off (not running): 12.2
Car running: 13.5-14

11). Base fuel pressure and injector values
Base Fuel Pressure: 43psi
Injector Size (cc/min):1120cc

12). Properly calibrated and configured wideband sensor
Sensor Brand: AEM
Calibration Date: 2018

13). Type of fuel
Type: Meijer E85
Percent of Ethanol: 85-88%

Update: TPS readjusted (small change), BPR7ES @ .020 installed, tried different firing orders. Tried new Omni 4 Bar

No difference.

You can free rev and hold this thing at 5k + and just listen to it break up every second or 2. AFR stays steady. Pulls are horrible.

Really hurting my brain here.

Should note, this ecu was installed before SD was implemented. No break up on MAF. A lot has changed since that time, car was built. So it could be an SD issue. May not be.

Lean band aid?
Does it kinda stop pulling over 5k @ 13.x?

I had a similar issue ....didn't think it was fuel.
It was fuel pressure or actually really more of an insufficient volume issue.
Another pump and some feed upgrades and all was cured in my case.
The wide band didn't let on as much as I would've hoped either oddly?

If I run 13.x out past 5k it pulls great. Any richer and break up.

it will break up free revving with ANY AFR. You can just hear it like it misses for a split second over 5k. Has AEM FPR and a rewired 255. If it was a volume issue, why would it occur with no load?

I appreciate the insight.

Tuned on/off doesn’t make a difference. Just the Tephra launch control was active. Which actually didn’t work until we wired up the clutch switch yesterday. Made no difference. Swapping a coil and wires today.

You sure your O2 is reading correct? Sounds like it could be an O2 sensor going bad?

Perhaps you could try closing the gap on the plugs.

I'm at .020, these issues aren't boost related. Rather RPM. It still breaks up with little load.

You sure your O2 is reading correct? Sounds like it could be an O2 sensor going bad?

WOT shouldn't be referencing the front O2. Would there be another reason it's related?

WOT shouldn't be referencing the front O2. Would there be another reason it's related?

So are you saying that at WOT you don't know what your AFR is? Also I thought you said that this was happening regardless of load? I'm must be a little confused but I still don't believe I've read anywhere that you've verified the O2's output is correct.

So are you saying that at WOT you don't know what your AFR is? Also I thought you said that this was happening regardless of load? I'm must be a little confused but I still don't believe I've read anywhere that you've verified the O2's output is correct.

No, I thought you were referring to the actual narrowband sensor, I have a wideband, logged and read.

I stated in the opening post what I was varying the AFR at, that's actual AFR, not a map value.

AFR reads 13.x+ and break up stops. Any richer and it breaks up. Closed loop cruising is 14.5-15.0. WBO2 reads correct.

Also, this is happening regardless of load, but if it happens at WOT and with no load, then it's not a sensor that is not referred to at WOT as it only satisfies half of the equation. That's what I am getting at.

Last edited:
I will get one from my laptop. It hasn't been first on my list of things to get uploaded.

The only time I have to reply, I don't have access to it. I will attempt to upload one tonight.

This is a log of one of the more rich maps, I took out some part throttle and idle to shorten the file.

Anything over 5k is breaking up.

If you notice the load going up and down, that's really the only indicator that something is happening.

Attachments

• RICH TUNE.csv
    792.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back