The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Breaking clutch in ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denji

Supporting Member
May 4, 2004
Calabash, North_Carolina
Alright, i have been breaking my clutch in for 440 miles so far. I Havent hit boost the entire time, been shifting before 3k. Most of those miles are city miles (probably all but 50), but not all of them. On a clutch break in, is the rule 500 city miles, or just 500 miles general driving? Basically, im following all the rules and i want to know if there would be any benefit for me breaking the clutch in past 500 miles or is it just overkill? Please reply, im tired of driving my car like a grandma. Thank you in advance- Brandon

i think you should follow the break-in rules for the clutch. and when they say 500 miles, it's suppose to be 500 miles of stop and go traffic. i learned that lesson the hard way. after installing new ACT 2100 (street/strip) clutch on my car, i took it to the track. i probably had some 150 miles on them. the clutch only lasted for 3 months, i had to get a different set already. i replaced it with another set of ACT 2600 six puck unsprung, now i broke 'em in properly and i've been using it for a year and a half.

When I got my clutch put in at AMS, I asked about breaking it in. They told me to put 500 miles on it... then he kind of looked at me funny and said "that's city miles not highway miles" LOL. He said not to take it over 4-5psi, and to not only shift up, but also downshift a lot too. I did that for about 450 miles or so... but I just couldn't take "driving like a grandma" anymore either OMG

Drive it like your mom is in the car for the first 300 miles and then drive it like your dad is in the car the last 200 miles. Dont slip it.

I got the xtd stage 3 clutch with ultra light flywheel :sosad:

I knew I wouldn't be able to go from a stop smooth anymore. I try to take off as smooth as possilble but anything less than 2k rpms it nearly stalls every time. what rpms should I aim for on a take off? I want to break it in right.

Do like said above... .
But also,
It's a good Idea to adjust the clutch master Cyl. before, during and after the break in process that is KEY to as well. Basically just make sure to keep it adjust right.:thumb:
Also IMO Engine braking all the time like your doing a motor break-in is a good Idea as well...But I drive like that all the time LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back