The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G brake upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herostar

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2002
Denver, Colorado
Who here has brake upgrades on your car?

I'd like to know what you've got, how much it cost, how you like it, and if you've got pics... well post 'em!:thumb:

I got the Baer Track kit from www.i-m-racing.com They had a good deal on them It was $745 for the 13" brake kit, $135 to upgrade the rotors to slotted slotted/drilled/zinc washed rotor, and then I called them and added Baer's option of powder coated red calipers for $180. You also have to get new rims it you don't have 17's, and the stock GSX ones don't fit so I ended up getting the rims in the picture. I haven't tried them yet as my car still isn't up and running.

588Rimsbrakefrontlipside.JPG

those looke totally mean! hell ya! i bet you'll love 'em when your car's running... anyone else, possible w/ just upgraded rotors? any other kits?

i have aem's 13" big break kit. i got mine like 2 years ago. they are cross drilled and slotted as well, but i think mine are cad. plated and fit on my 16" rims with only about 1/2" clearence or less. i paid $1,200 for them tax and shipping included.

Originally posted by SOURCE1064
I got the Baer Track kit from www.i-m-racing.com They had a good deal on them It was $745 for the 13" brake kit, $135 to upgrade the rotors to slotted slotted/drilled/zinc washed rotor, and then I called them and added Baer's option of powder coated red calipers for $180. You also have to get new rims it you don't have 17's, and the stock GSX ones don't fit so I ended up getting the rims in the picture. I haven't tried them yet as my car still isn't up and running.

588Rimsbrakefrontlipside.JPG

Jeesh, what did we do, call each other? I got my Baer kit from IM racing too. I stuck with the standard 13" kit. Although, when these wear out, I am going with the 2-piece rotors. I powdercoated my own calipers. They looked great until I did a track day event. The brakes stop great, but no more RED front calipers. I have a 1990 Talon and had the 17" GSX wheels on there. I didn't find out until I went to put my wheels back on that they didn't fit. I sold them and bought a set of Tantrums--just like yours. Are yours 17 or 18?

BTW, if you intend on doing track days, I highly recommend the 01 compound from Performance Friction. Work Great! Even when jumping on the brakes at 125mph.

Attachments

• side-view.jpg
    side-view.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 785
I have the TCE 12.2 Kit as I wanted to keep my 16" wheels. His kit is a Wilwood setup configured to fit our cars. The overall cost was around $1200, but I ended up with slotted rotors two sets of brake pads and four piston calipers and new stainless steel lines.

It was a snap to install and is really worth it. Since I do some track stuff with the car I found the stock rotors to be less than ideal. So, I decided I'd give Todd atTCE a call. He was very informative and reasonable. In other words he didn't try to sell me the best thing out there. He tailored it to my needs.

Big time :thumb: up

Attachments

• october 2002 big brake.jpg
    october 2002 big brake.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 754
Its the Baer Track kit with optional zinc slotted and cross drilled rotors. The track kit comes with 13" rotors. To be honest once I put them on I was really worried that they werent gonna fit because as I was putting them on they were hitting the caliper, but once everything was tightened down I spun the wheel and they didnt hit at all. They just barely cleared them.

does anyone know if the aem big rotor upgrade, not with the calipers, will fit with my stock 16's?? i have 17's but i like to use them only in the summer time and i cant really afford another set of wheels. there are a couple different 16 in. stock wheels and i'd just like to know if it will fit on mine which arent the 5 spokes that ive seen on a lot of 97-99 as my car is a 96. also, how big are the stock rotors for front and rear?

Originally posted by 1TuffRS
the Baer brakes do fit with the stock 17s I dont know who told you that they dont, but they do. And they kick A$$

Interesting! The 1G/2G's use a different rotor. 1G's use the mustang rotor with a certain offset, 2G's use the Corvette Rotor with more "dish" to it. The Baer Kit will not clear the 17" GSX wheels on a 1G. I learned this the hard way.:|

Can a spacer be used on the wheel for the 13" Baer kit to work with the 97-99 17" GSX wheels on a 1G? I ordered a set for my '94 Talon FWD with GSX wheels since they fit on my friends '98 GSX. If nothing else, could a 2G kit be used on a 1G?

there is an online shop at www.turboimport.com, they got me my whole kit for under $400 shipped, it had 4 brembo slotted/dimpled rotors, axis pads, and SS brake lines. I added DOT4 brake fluid. it kicks ass

there is an online shop at www.turboimport.com, they got me my whole kit for under $400 shipped, it had 4 brembo slotted/dimpled rotors, axis pads, and SS brake lines. I added DOT4 brake fluid. it kicks ass

FYI, one of the site sponsors (hopupracing.com) as the Baer Track for less than $700.

Contact me and I can get you the kit for cheaper than HopUp.

I got AP Racing.

Attachments

• z.gif
    z.gif
    117.7 KB · Views: 458
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back