The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Brake problems after letting car sit for a few months

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy E

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2003
Syracuse, New_York
So over summer I bought a 240sx and decided to use my 93 eclipse as my winter car (it has tons of body damage, LOL). Ive started it up a few times over summer and it always starts fine. I took it for a brief drive the other day and it seems to be kinda messed up. The brakes make the car pull and shake. In additiion, theres weird like "rotating" noises comming from all 4 wheels (I think all 4).

Any clue whats wrong? Do I just need to drive it a while to get things normal again? My car rode 100% before I let it sit.

Thanks! :cool:

When you let a car sit for a long period of time corrosion builds up on the rotors causing your noise and the fluid settles causing some mushiness to pedal feel.

thechad said:
When you let a car sit for a long period of time corrosion builds up on the rotors causing your noise and the fluid settles causing some mushiness to pedal feel.
It what? It settles? Do we have to regularly stir our fluids? :rolleyes:

Crazy, DO NOT BUMP YOUR THREADS.

Surface rust shouldn't last more than a mile. You probably have a failing wheel bearing, and thanks to the marvel of the unibody, the noise comes from everywhere. You may have one or more seized caliper. Do they use salt up there?

Sorry about the bump :coy:

Yeah, they use salt here. But it was June when I stopped driving the car. Would letting it sit for only a few months seize the caliper?

Crazy E said:
Yeah, they use salt here. But it was June when I stopped driving the car. Would letting it sit for only a few months seize the caliper?
Rust Never Sleeps.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And, considering how old the car is, how close it may have been to seizing-up when you parked, yes. Those months could do it.

Does this mean I have to replace all the calipers? Is there a way I can test or un-seize them somehow?

that would be the suck

Just have someone hit the brakes while you look to see if the calipers are engaging properly, if they are bad then either bite the bullet and buy new ones or cruise on over to Auburn and go to Pick-and-Pull they have a couple of 1G's in there right now and they sell calipers cheap.

damn, looks like its going to be pick-n-pull, but I still gotta test

thanks for the help guys! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back