The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G brake pad ? & $

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW4G63

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 11, 2002
TommyPantsdownville, Ohio
I got a question, I never bought brakes for my 2g gsx. Its now time! What brakes do you guys run? I do alot of high speed freeway driving to and from work. I'll be going about 100 and have to slow down to 70 and some city driving. And where can I score a deal on some pads? Or maybe a good pad disc combo deal? I cant spend an ass load.

It depends on what you want. Everybody, it seems, wants more brake - but defining that doesnt bring out an answer. (I'm a brake engineer, and it drives me nuts to figure out what people really want)

So, here are some guidelines:
- maximum reliability. If important, stock type discs - no drilling or milling or plating.

- stopping power. Well, do you want inital bite (good grabbing when you first hit the brakes)? Or maybe good resistance to fade (you do lots of high speed stops). Or you want consistent braking (no difference in feel or power depending on temperature). All of these bring different answers to the party (oh yeah, there is no "ulitmate" lining, so don't pick "the max" for everything!

- good fade resistance for high speed stops: Choose a pad with high metallic content (MetalMasters, Porterfield). The metal helps absorb heat so your disc doesn't. Be careful, though: these linings squeek and eat up rotors.

- general upgraded stopping power: small amounts of metal with some kevlar in it (EBC Green Stuff) Rotor friendly, some improved high speed braking, consistent friction factors over a large temperature range. Good choice if you do only occasional heavy stops in the mountains. Quiet and low dust amounts too.

- quiet operation and good life: stock. Manufactuers spends lots of money trying to get quiet brakes (its the number one complaint). They can make lots of dust and have not so good heavy braking performance.

- Formula 1 brakes: ok, you have zillions of $$$ to spend and you gotta have the "best" (see definition, above) brakes. Carbon-carbon brakes: both discs and linings made from this exotic material. At extremely high temperatures it is the best at stopping things. It actually has better friction factors the higher temperature you get. Of course, the drawbacks: money, engineering (no drop-in replacements yet available for DSMs, and terrible cold temperature braking.

There are, of course ven more choices, but I hope this primer helps. As you can see, its not an easy nor universal solution. One last hint: after you do get your upgraded brakes, don't try them out when you are in front of a 6000 SUV or you will find out how well your DSM acts as a brake too!

Kyle

Thanks man,

I think that was the best brake break down possible! EVER! That needs to get posted in a "How to buy brakes section" for sure. I think I may go with the green stuff. Thats what I was thinking about first. As far as rotors I would like slotted or drilled, any one know if power stops are good slotted rotors. summit racing has them for 91.00 bucks a corner for front and back.

Thanks again man.
Tom

well as far as pads go i have ebc greens in the rear and to absorbe more stress and heat reds in the front; along with it i have aem's big break kit - drilled and slotted 13'' rotors - cadium plated to give it a nice golden color and it helps to absorb heat. if you do go with a big break kit; anything over 11'' you will need to remove your dust covers; they will be in the way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back