The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Brake Noise While Turning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloweclipse97

Probationary Member
Apr 1, 2009
Connellsville, Pennsylvania
I have just recently installed new rotors and pads on the front of my car. I am now having a small brake squeal from the driver's side when turning right or moderately braking. Any ideas on what this could be? I cleaned and lubricated the slides when I took them apart.

Some brake noise is just normal and is just the nature of the material. My aunt had an SL500 and the brakes squealed after she got them replaced. It went away over time.

As long as it isn't abnormally loud, I wouldn't sweat it.

The reason I am worried is this is the second set of rotors this summer. I put on a new set in June and they were great for a while. Then they started making this same noise. I figured it would go away. Then a few weeks later they started pulsing, I'm not sure though if the noise I am hearing was the cause of that or not, I just figured the rotors were machined wrong or something. I got a replacement set of rotors for free since the place I got them from had a 3 month warranty against warping, and now are making the same noise.

Did you happen to notice if a dust sheild is bent or anything? And were the pads seated to the rotors correctly? Also putting a little anti-seize on the metal brackets the pads rest on can help reduce some unwanted noise and help them slide easily to the rotor when braking.

Did you happen to notice if a dust sheild is bent or anything? And were the pads seated to the rotors correctly? Also putting a little anti-seize on the metal brackets the pads rest on can help reduce some unwanted noise and help them slide easily to the rotor when braking.

Yes to all of this ^^^ :thumb:

I would bet that you may have bent one of the dust shields when you did the brakes. Try bending the noisy one away from the rotor a little bit. If that doesn't work, or if it gets louder, try bending it toward the rotor. I have had them make noise and I have had to bend them either way to get them to stop. It really sounds like that is the problem, especially since it does it when turning. That is usually a dust shield slightly contacting the rotor.;)

I would bet that you may have bent one of the dust shields when you did the brakes. Try bending the noisy one away from the rotor a little bit. If that doesn't work, or if it gets louder, try bending it toward the rotor. I have had them make noise and I have had to bend them either way to get them to stop. It really sounds like that is the problem, especially since it does it when turning. That is usually a dust shield slightly contacting the rotor.;)

Which after so long that sheild would "warp" the rotor causing the brake pulses. Let us know what you find when you get to check it out.

i cant remember but do the 2g n/a's brakes have metal clips you set the pad in to install it on the caliper? have you checked and triple checked for anything loose?

Well it could be a bad piston in the caliper, or the pads are not set right within the metal clips. i personally like to put anti-seize on the metal clips to stop noise and keep the moving parts moving freely.

Well it could be a bad piston in the caliper, or the pads are not set right within the metal clips. i personally like to put anti-seize on the metal clips to stop noise and keep the moving parts moving freely.

Okay I am going to try to put anti-seize on the metal clips and see what that does. I am pretty sure the caliper is ok, it is a newer caliper and the piston compressed easily with a c-clamp. It's just weird that when I brake going in a straight line its fine, but as soon as i turn the wheel it makes noise. Thanks for all the advice.

Have you tightened the caliper again? What about re-torquing the wheel down?

Have you tightened the caliper again? What about re-torquing the wheel down?

That is a damn good thing to check. If any bolts or lugs on the caliper or wheel are loose that'd cause a noise while turning.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back