The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Brake job gone wrong

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undefined0000

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2012
Findlay, Ohio
So I had another derp, but this one is baddddd. So I cross threaded a mounting bolt on the caliper and I couldn't afford to not be able to drive an I can't afford another caliper, so I put it in as much as I could and had to drive 3 hours to a funeral, on the way there, the bolt decided to scram and I found this out when I hit the brakes and a horrible grinding sound appeared. I pulled over slowly and was brought to a rough stop *ooooof, checked out what happened and the caliper was digging into the rim as it was half way on, out of desperation, I stole a bolt from the passenger seat bracket and stuck it in there, it's holding, but just barely, the slightest turn and it will come out with ease. So my question is, are there any cheap solutions, or do I just need a whole new caliper?

You can't have a friend pick you up or something?? I definitely wouldn't drive it.. Extremely unsafe.. And not trying to be rude or anything but if you thought that putting a bolt in a cross threaded hole on a brake caliper was a good idea and was safe to drive a car like that, you probably shouldn't be doing repairs on your car yourself. You might want to have someone who is a bit more knowledgeable do it or as least help you do it.

All he is saying is you should have thought about it, any one in there correct and safe mind would have thought brales are a key point is stopping and if something went wrong like it did, it could have caused you to lock up and go out of control,

Yes some people was harsh but you gota think dude as that was a silly mistake and could have ended as badly as a drunk driver you know. Ive posted up a video for you to get info on tapping for you and i hope you get it sorted out and please dont drive it anymore and get a lift or walk or grab a bike last thing you and we on dsmtuners was is someone getting injured and it could pretray to people thinking we all are dangerous and practice unsafe methods of maintenance

Lol on the flaming I am sorry everyone loves to hate but I am sure they have had hardships to. Im also sure most of you have done some boosted flybys or some crap on the road to show off your car and im sure thats just as unsafe. You can get killed or kill someone in a 80hp car as well as a 500+hp car. I hope you get it fixed.My dad use to work at a muffler and brake shop and there are a lot of options for you. As I don't have any for you at the moment, but get into mechanic mode I am sure you will be able to remount it or find a replacement method for fixing it. Good luck

This is rediculous, are you really going to drill the knuckle larger so you can drill and tap the caliper bracket larger? If the threads are gone, then tapping it the same size won't do diddly.

All the OP needs is a caliper bracket and a bolt. I'm pretty sure junkyards have that stuff laying around for less money than a drill, a tap, and a helicoil kit. Heck I have old DSM caliper brackets laying around.

As for all the people nagging about how he's going to kill someone; the caliper isn't going anywhere with the wheel in the way.

This is rediculous, are you really going to drill the knuckle larger so you can drill and tap the caliper bracket larger? If the threads are gone, then tapping it the same size won't do diddly.

All the OP needs is a caliper bracket and a bolt. I'm pretty sure junkyards have that stuff laying around for less money than a drill, a tap, and a helicoil kit. Heck I have old DSM caliper brackets laying around.

As for all the people nagging about how he's going to kill someone; the caliper isn't going anywhere with the wheel in the way.

+1 I worked on a car that had lost,a, caliper bolt before. It stopped fine it was just beating against the rim.

Thank you and Thank you. IF anything were to happen, There is still 1 bolt holding the caliper in its place, and I will still have atleast 75% of stopping power. Just getting done with classes and I think I missed napa today, but I shall try later on.

Yo man, save your money on the drill bit, tap, and helicoil just go to a junkyard and get just the bracket and slap it on! Its will only be a few bucks compared to 50 bucks for the helicoil kit the napa guy will charge ya ;)

Yo man, save your money on the drill bit, tap, and helicoil just go to a junkyard and get just the bracket and slap it on! Its will only be a few bucks compared to 50 bucks for the helicoil kit the napa guy will charge ya ;)

I second that, helicoil kits are expensive, best bet is a junkyard.
The kit itself will cost at least 40$ IF you can find a good deal on it. not only that but the kit doesnt usually include the drill bit.

I'v had this exact problem happen, and trust me just go to a junkyard and get a new bracket, the tap is to much with the helicoil. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back