The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

GVR-4 Brake fluid leak between the brake master cylinder and brake booster

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berserk

Probationary Member
Nov 8, 2008
colorado spring, Colorado
About a week ago my check brake light came so i added some fluid because it was low and called it a day and brakes were fine and there was no more light. So the next morning i start the car for work light comes back on this time there is fluid under the car that to the naked eye appears to be leaking where the brake booster and brake master meet. I have left the car for about a week sitting. I have since topped the fluid off and tried pumping the brakes to see if i can see where the fliud is coming from and results are the same but this time my brake pedal is stiff. I have a repair manual for the car (this is a 1991 galant vr-4) and understand how to disassemble the brake booster and brake master cylinder and put it back together. My question is why is there fluid leaking and what most likely will need replaced, or what process shoul i take to get s better idea of what is going on.

My guess is that the master cylinder is bad...
Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance!

If your master cylinder is leaking i'd just replace it and call it a day. There is nothing else there that would leak break fluid unless a line is loose or something of that nature.

I just dealt with this same issue myself. New master cylinder = no more leak. The only reason fluid would leak there is because of a failed seal/diaphragm in the master cylinder at the primary piston assembly.

you may ### to replace the booster too, the fluid will get on the booster diaphram and weakin it, so it will fail at some point, it may be a week down the road. or a year....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back