The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Brake component differences on 1G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaatr

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 18, 2010
San Jose, California
I've noticed on a few sites that there seems to be a difference in part# or availability of parts depending on if a 1G is pre-1992 or post... I didn't think there was a difference in the brakes on the 1G cars, or is there?

I have a '90 and am looking for pads and a new brake booster. I see that the booster from a 2G has the same PN on rockauto's website as a '93 car but not the same as a '90 or '91. This also holds true for pads where some companies list their pads for later 1G but not for the early years...

Am I right that there is no difference between 1G cars?

-Raffi

Most 1g's 89-93 should have the same brake pad..I think It was the 94 when they switched over to 2 piston calipers..The 2 piston caliper might have a different pad..

Also I'm not sure if it's the brake booster or not, but there are two differences in where the brakes lines are ran from..Some 1g's have where the brake lines run out, is up by the air filter, and some have this to the right side of the intake manifold..

1g came with two option depending on the manufacturing date for brakes and rotors. This also effected what master cylinder they used. Manufacturing dates '89-92 (mfg date of 5/92) utilized a smaller caliper, single piston caliper. After those date they upgrade to the twin piston caliper and larger rotor diameter size. With double the amount of stopping force they had to upgrade the Master Cylinder piston size.

There were two sizes used 15/16 inch, 1 inches master cylinder, those number correlate to the piston diameter size. If you have a 90 you most likely have a small MC (15/16), this could be the difference in the brake boosters since they bolt to that unit.

I posted a ton of brake information here, it included data on MC size options: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/405245-3000-gt-tt-brakes.html

So what your saying is the later 92's came with the 2 piston caliper?And bigger booster? And that's why the brakes lines are connected by the air filter, and not to the right of the intake manifold?

There were two sizes used 15/16 inch, 1 inches master cylinder, those number correlate to the piston diameter size. If you have a 90 you most likely have a small MC (15/16), this could be the difference in the brake boosters since they bolt to that unit.

What I am saying is that if he has a smaller piston diameter MC that could be why there is a difference in the year option on the parts he is looking for. the later years had a larger caliper so larger MC, thats why there pre and post 92 options

"I've noticed on a few sites that there seems to be a difference in part# or availability of parts depending on if a 1G is pre-1992 or post... I didn't think there was a difference in the brakes on the 1G cars, or is there?" - Flaatr

I could be totally wrong, but I know there a manufacturing upgrade at that time, and thats why there could be a "difference in part# or availability of parts depending on if a 1G is pre-1992 or post".

So what your saying is the later 92's came with the 2 piston caliper?And bigger booster? And that's why the brakes lines are connected by the air filter, and not to the right of the intake manifold?

That connection by the air filter would be the ABS unit. All 1g's had it there if they were equipped with ABS

I have abs, but that unit by the air filter is not there..I have the abs light, so It has to have abs correct? I thought my car was weird too, cause I'm selling my 92 talon, and that has the unit by the air filter, and mine don't..

@Paul@RTM, do you have any knowledge on the rear 1g AWD calipers/brakes for Mr. Volk here?
Nice lookin car @99gst_racer !!! :thumb:

Old thread; When looking at 1G AWD rear brakes, it looks like there was a change mid-'93. Any advice for visually identifying mid-93 and older VS mid-93 and newer?
As much as I know, the bleeder screw size is the difference. The early model (the older one) has 10mm. The late model has 7mm.

Thanks Hiroshi!!!

Old thread; When looking at 1G AWD rear brakes, it looks like there was a change mid-'93. Any advice for visually identifying mid-93 and older VS mid-93 and newer?
Nope, we don't have any insider info on that. Never really looked that closely.

When I was parts searching to see if I could find a difference, it was the rotor. It didn't seem to be the caliper Paul. I went over to Rockauto to compare. You might want to take a look too. My oldest son had a 95 that had the special rear rotors on it but I've not heard about differences in 1g cars. Interesting question.

When I was parts searching to see if I could find a difference, it was the rotor. It didn't seem to be the caliper Paul. I went over to Rockauto to compare. You might want to take a look too. My oldest son had a 95 that had the special rear rotors on it but I've not heard about differences in 1g cars. Interesting question.
I guess I assumed there would have to be a caliper difference for vented vs. solid rotors.

I got a set of brand new 2G solid rotors sitting here and it would be awesome if they were somehow the same. :)

To the best of my knowledge only the early 95 2g got a vented rotor and the matching calipers. The rotor is considerably thicker so there has to be a caliper difference.
I'm sure no 1G's had them.

Maybe my old machine with CAPS on it will boot and I can check part numbers.

CAPS only only lists D27A rear calipers as having two different part numbers. The 1990 MY (MB587960 - L MB587961 - R) and 91-94MY (MB669672 - L MB669673 - R). They share the mounting bracket (MB587778) and rotors (MB887433) across all 1G AWDs if I'm reading it correctly.

Which leaves me with the question, where did you see that there was a change mid-93?

Last edited:
I decided to follow up on Hiroshi's comment regarding the bleeder screws and CAPS show a change from 10mm to 7mm in the first week of 1992, so there is more going on. I would expect this to force a part number change to the caliper casting.

There are other differences in the front brake calipers of 1Gs: Some use M15 thread guide pins and some M14. My 91 Talon originally came with M15 and is a non ABS car and I needed to replace the calipers and could only get ones that have the M14 thread guide pins, so had to source M14 guide pins as my original M15's didn't fit.

Why the M14/M15 difference? I would have thought sure, M15 = bigger, needed for ABS? - Doesn't seem to be the case.

I decided to follow up on Hiroshi's comment regarding the bleeder screws and CAPS show a change from 10mm to 7mm in the first week of 1992, so there is more going on. I would expect this to force a part number change to the caliper casting.
@Paul@RTM, do you have any knowledge on the rear 1g AWD calipers/brakes for Mr. Volk here?
Nice lookin car @99gst_racer !!! :thumb:

Nope, we don't have any insider info on that. Never really looked that closely.

CAPS only only lists D27A rear calipers as having two different part numbers. The 1990 MY (MB587960 - L MB587961 - R) and 91-94MY (MB669672 - L MB669673 - R). They share the mounting bracket (MB587778) and rotors (MB887433) across all 1G AWDs if I'm reading it correctly.

Which leaves me with the question, where did you see that there was a change mid-93?

I know this post is a bit old, but maybe it will help the next member on here looking for information.
I happen to have a set of "90 AWD rear calipers and just scored a set of "91-"94 AWD rear calipers (they came off a 93 Eagle Talon 5 speed AWD specifically), I compared them, They interchange mechanically, and where all bolts and parking cables go is the same, but the newer "91-"94 awd dsm rear calipers might be a bit of an upgrade for the "90 awd, they look similar, but upon closer inspection the "91-"94, have a thicker casting around the piston area, I unscrewed the pistons from both and popped the piston boots up to inspect the outside dimension of the caliper piston size, and "90 cars feature a 30mm piston, where the "91-"94 have a nearly 35mm piston outside diameter I think it was 34.8mm give or take but my dial caliper could be off a bit.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back