The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Brad's Zero G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've got an update for my little swap project here, I have decided that my Holset turbo idea was a little too aggressive for the time/money I've allocated to the project. It just so happens I have a 14b that will work just fine with a little bit of rotation to point the exhaust the right way and keep the oil feed line on top. Here's my used 14b that was kindly donated with the engine I purchased.
IMG_5670.jpg

So last week I took it apart, cleaned it up with some mineral spirits, a siphon spray gun, and a nylon brush (got the idea from jafromobile) Here it is in pieces after cleaning, it came out pretty good I think
IMG_5680.jpg

After cleaning and reassembling I need to file a new indent for the alignment pin of the compressor housing so I can have the outlet going in a manageable direction. I tossed the turbo, manifold, modified intake, and throttle body on the engine to see how it looks and fits. Seeing it a little more together is really fun, it almost looks like it could run soon!
IMG_5682.jpg
IMG_5683.jpg
IMG_5684.jpg

So this is it so far, I certainly know that a lot of this stuff is a bit rusty, but my father has a sand blasting cabinet that I'm sure he hasn't used in years but I might be able to get working again, in which case a lot of these parts will get a good cleaning!

Next time I need to tackle the wiring side, I'll probably have fewer updates and pictures about that because it is less 4g63 related than it is Starion related.

Cool to see more RWD builds happening, should be pretty fun!
As far as the indexing pin for the compressor housing, instead of trying to grind a new location, you're better off removing the pin from the compressor cover so you can freely position it. Pair of vise grips, a lil heat and a decent pull should get it out :thumb:
What's your plan for the thermostat housing/water neck?

Okay, good idea on just removing the pin, I'll take a crack at that next time, it would certainly make it a bit easier to just be able to put it wherever I need, thanks!

So my plan right now is to use the stock thermostat housing on the back of the head in combination with the water exit from a 1.8 sohc 4g37, it rotates the exit just enough to make it move along the firewall instead of into it, just got the part from rockauto yesterday actually!

To give myself some more room I am moving the whole engine/trans forward 2" to avoid having to modify the firewall as I have seen others do. I already need a new driveshaft so that won't be an issue to have a custom one made (about $200 for steel, $320 for aluminum from PST, not sure which I will get yet) and there's plenty of room in front of the engine to slide forward a bit.

The pictures I have in the dsm profile of the engine in the car have the engine sitting on plates which have the mounts moved forward 2", you can kind of see in the pictures that there's a decent amount of room at the back of the head this way.

Happy to see another Starquest on the board. I'm here researching turbos for mine. I went Holset HX35 originally too, but that kinda killed my stock SQ tranny. Do you think you're going to stay with the 14B for long?

Hey! Nice line up of cars you have there, did you use an hx35 with the g54b?
My main reason for switching to the 14b was cost but as I'm doing more research I certainly don't know enough about the 4g63 and fuel management to be in the power range the holset is capable of. Sticking with the 14b will allow me to use as many stock parts as possible at first to get it running and then upgrade from there. From what I've read on here the 14b does not become a limiting factor for a build until around 300hp which is more than the d50 transmission I'm using is probably capable of, so the answer I suppose is, hopefully I can get a little while out of it until I lunch the tranny! :thumb:

Had a chance to get some more work done on the car this weekend, ended up cleaning the garage a lot and plumbing up a line to finally get shop air from the house to the garage! Also have the car back in the garage after a few years outside unfortunately. I'm embarrassed to show a before picture but let just say I'm proud of how 'clean' I got the garage this weekend. Just enough room to get the car in, I'm doing my best with the borrowed space I've got.:thumb:
IMG_5732.jpg
IMG_5728.jpg

I need to get the wiring harness out of car as well as clean up the engine bay so the front bumper and fenders have to go for now. Lots of rusty fasteners later here we are, a few became victims of the cutoff wheel. I'll have to repair those when going back together. My brother snapped a picture of me persuading the lower fender bolts off.
IMG_5733.JPG

Did a little bit of cleanup in the engine bay, removal of some mounting brackets I no longer have a need for and quick coat of paint to keep it from getting rusty. Next time I need to sand blast the drivers side where my battery leaked and got a nice layer of corrosion on everything.
IMG_5723.jpg
IMG_5731.jpg
IMG_5725.jpg

After sand blasting I'm planning on doing a quick coat of the stock gold paint in the engine bay just to give it a little more of a polished look, right now its pretty nasty as you can see. I have a lot of electrical work in my near future. Also after I clean up the engine bay I can put the engine and trans in to start the real work of plumbing it all up.

Had a chance to get some more work done on the car this weekend, ended up cleaning the garage a lot and plumbing up a line to finally get shop air from the house to the garage! Also have the car back in the garage after a few years outside unfortunately. I'm embarrassed to show a before picture but let just say I'm proud of how 'clean' I got the garage this weekend. Just enough room to get the car in, I'm doing my best with the borrowed space I've got.:thumb:View attachment 567910 View attachment 567905
I need to get the wiring harness out of car as well as clean up the engine bay so the front bumper and fenders have to go for now. Lots of rusty fasteners later here we are, a few became victims of the cutoff wheel. I'll have to repair those when going back together. My brother snapped a picture of me persuading the lower fender bolts off.View attachment 567906
Did a little bit of cleanup in the engine bay, removal of some mounting brackets I no longer have a need for and quick coat of paint to keep it from getting rusty. Next time I need to sand blast the drivers side where my battery leaked and got a nice layer of corrosion on everything.View attachment 567907 View attachment 567908 View attachment 567909
After sand blasting I'm planning on doing a quick coat of the stock gold paint in the engine bay just to give it a little more of a polished look, right now its pretty nasty as you can see. I have a lot of electrical work in my near future. Also after I clean up the engine bay I can put the engine and trans in to start the real work of plumbing it all up.

IMG_20190506_164219.jpg
IMG_20190508_191817.jpg
IMG_20190508_191835.jpg

Gotta love that electrical work!

I'd rather do the electrical (long as I can find diagrams and manuals) than do body work. Luckily you just have some surface rusty clean-up!

View attachment 567911 View attachment 567912 View attachment 567913
Gotta love that electrical work!

I'd rather do the electrical (long as I can find diagrams and manuals) than do body work. Luckily you just have some surface rusty clean-up!

I feel like those pictures are peering into my future of wiring. I'd prefer working on wiring over body work as well but I've gotta get this rust under control just a little bit while the engine bay is empty, it'll be a lot harder in the future. I've never done a wiring project this large before, thankfully projectzerg has a great page about the wiring that is extremely informative and helpful.

Hey! Nice line up of cars you have there, did you use an hx35 with the g54b?
My main reason for switching to the 14b was cost but as I'm doing more research I certainly don't know enough about the 4g63 and fuel management to be in the power range the holset is capable of. Sticking with the 14b will allow me to use as many stock parts as possible at first to get it running and then upgrade from there. From what I've read on here the 14b does not become a limiting factor for a build until around 300hp which is more than the d50 transmission I'm using is probably capable of, so the answer I suppose is, hopefully I can get a little while out of it until I lunch the tranny! :thumb:
Yep, I was running my HX35 on my SQ. The motor is upgraded and it's MPI swapped. It was a blast to drive for one night before the transmission died. If you're on projectzero's page, look up the transmission section. That's where I got the idea for the RX7 trans swap. That's what I have in the car right now. Currently, I think I'm going to go with a HY40pro. It's supposed to spool at ~3500rpm. But before I get to that I'm trying to get the 240 rack installed.

For your build I think it might be easier for you to rip out the wiring harness then go standalone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back