The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

BOV's in CA

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvoSix

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2002
San Jose, CaliforniaUS
Me and my friend had discussion on blow off vavles. Are they illegal to have in CA? Here in the Bay Area (San Jose), the only other time i hear the bov is at car meets. Other than that, i could go on for a week without hearing one go off. I thought it could be a emission altering device if its vented atmosphere. So have any of you drivers ever been or heard of people being pulled over by mr. popo?

blow off valves are not illegal! ( if your car came with one) provided it is used in accordance with state smog laws, and per manufacturers specifications. ie: if it is recirculated in to the intake it must remain so.

besides why tip off an officer to pay more attention to you? it just gives him/her an excuse to pull you over and go through the car looking for emmissions altering devices (they can do that!), and ofcourse it's just a plain old hassle.

for a better answer call your local chp office and they will be happy to answer any questions, after all they are tripple A with a gun :)

Originally posted by 4g63tc
blow off valves are not illegal! ( if your car came with one) provided it is used in accordance with state smog laws, and per manufacturers specifications. ie: if it is recirculated in to the intake it must remain so.

besides why tip off an officer to pay more attention to you? it just gives him/her an excuse to pull you over and go through the car looking for emmissions altering devices (they can do that!), and ofcourse it's just a plain old hassle.

for a better answer call your local chp office and they will be happy to answer any questions, after all they are tripple A with a gun :)

I thought BOV's are illegal, since it said so on my Greddy BOV box... but if it's ok to have one if the car came with one, then CA emissions law isn't that all bad yet...

BOV's are not illegal in CA unless they are vented to the atmosphere. That is when you start to break the smog laws.. But then again, when it comes to CA cops, then whether some is legal or not, they all say, "Tell it to the Judge"

absolutely correct!.venting to atmo. is illegal, emmissions laws aren't that bad for info. on ca emissions and how it applies to tuners check http://www.enjoythedrive.com
it's SEMA's web site just chock full of information regarding emissions,aftermarket parts,and how legislation will effect you! (ie: cops really can't give you a ticket for loud exhaust in CA )

but how would they kno u r ventin back to the atmosphere unless u tell them. some bovs that recirculate back into the intake r loud, and the cops cant go searchin ur car, unless they hav probable cause and havin a loud bov aint 1, considerin that the cop even knows that its a bov

probable cause in california is deemed as anything the cop wants to make up,teens in a car it's late after 2am, you drive a car that may or may not have stolen engines/parts, busted taillights.those stupid window squirters....whatever they feel is relevent

not really, most of the time ricers(loud a$$ exhausts) draw the most heat...especially since stolen engines are finding their way into hondas more often then not (big crack down)

it's easy to stay out of trouble even when your modded!,
1st. don't act like an idiot! racing is not for heavy traffic, of city streets
2nd. see above!
3rd. see above!

I actually had a cop make me pop the hood of my car when I had a Zx2. He basically looked for the Chrome parts, and said they were all illegal. He even said my strut bar was illegal. I said, that isn't illegal, and he said "Tell it to the Judge!"

The don't care, they are just trying to get kids to stop racing on the streets and causing trouble. The fact is, most of the people who are racing and getting in trouble, are the "wannabe's" with the 16 - 17 sec cars who don't know the difference between a turbo and an air filter.

I have never been bothered by the cops (knock on wood) since I have had my eclipse, and that is due to the fact I no longer street race.

Last thing is, becareful if you do street race, because the cops who work the races, usually have BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) officals with them now. The Bar reps, look at your car and tell the cops what is illegal and what is not. And most likely a BAR reps word will heavliy outweight yours.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back