The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

bottom end recontruction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fehrion_sit

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2009
chalfont, Pennsylvania
hey guys, so after putting all the work into match porting and polishing my cylinder head, cutting the valves and such, ive become concerned with how well the bottom end of my motor will last, it has 189xxx on it,and the last thing we all want is for a piston to slam into all of our hard work, i wanted to hear some street setups of bottoms ends that are reasonably priced. this car is my daily but i do push 20psi out of my tdo5h ...

i know i need,
  • main bearings
  • rod bearings
  • balance shaft removal kit
  • possibly rods?
  • would stock 1g piston heads be okay?
  • new rings

input and experiences are welcome!

Definately put new bearings (both OEM or ACL bearings would be just fine) in while your at it, and it you can afford to, get some 2g pistons (slightly higher compression). The 1g rods and crank will be more than enough.

It rarely hurts to upgrade (though depending on which bearings you may use some people would advise you use different oil as well), but you're not really asking a lot from your engine. I'd do a 2G/Evo piston on a 1G rod and call it a day.

While you have it apaet you should get some 2g pistons. Higher compression and a lil tougher incase your plans change in the future. Also you should get your stock 1g rods reconditioned and some arp 2000 rod bolts installed. Youd be set then, and not too much coin:)

acl bearings, 2g pistons on 1g rods(already have bc its a 90 6bolt with arp rod bolts, rings, and a balance shaft removal is what im liking right now, i wanna do this safely bc ive put alot of time into making my cylinder head just the way i want it.

Well there you go im down and im deciding which path i want to take upgrade seems the way engine, possibly turbo set up too. Yeah get that balance shaft while your there, mine broke once but no engine damage whew.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back