The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

(BoostEst < Boost) & (AFEst < WBO2)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock2610d

Proven Member
Jan 22, 2013
Cheyenne, Wyoming

At 5500 rpm boost est is 7.8 psi and gauge is 10 psi.
At 5500 rpm my AFEst is 10.7 and wide band is 11.2

How do I fix this?

Well here is how I am doing it.

I look at each maf hz reading.
For instance my 800+/- 5 hz maf reading on my WOT pull showed AFEst lower than my WB02 reading. Since AFEst was lower(say 10) than WB02 (say 11)I went to the MAFcomp tables and at the 800 hz slider and I increased slider a little to make ECU think more air is in system. That leans out AFEst and helps bring it in line with WB02.:hmm:

I will do this for each MAFComp hz reading....it is very time consuming, so I hope its right. I do the opposite if AFEst is higher than WB02....kinda confusing since if one is lower it means richer:banghead:

We will just have to see if the air changes affect the BOOSTEst readings and fix that after the air fuel is in line.

I will ask this question on the ECM Link forums and see if someone there knows this answer. If I get a response there I will share the info.

Well you can try to get close to it as possible. Right click Boostest and click "preferences" and type in your elevation(altitude in box) and check "save as defaults", then click "apply". I looked up Cheyenne and said 6,062 Ft..Im at 3800 ft and i thought that was too much, we need sea level man :(
That might not help much possibly, but you are better off running the Mafcomp tool and you can calibrate maf as well. Your better off tuning for afrest and wideband. This was discussed extensively by Calan in this thread http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/ecm...stest-boost-gauge-not-equal-attached-log.html
I hope that helps, let us know.

You want to try and get your af-est to line up with your wideband. The best way to do this is to log your wideband. Once you have a clean pull go in the log and find the spots that the wideband and af-est do not line up. In thouse areas look at your hz level and go onto your maf comp tab and increase or decrease depending on if you are running leaner or rich in that area. Then do another pull and repeat till your af-est and wideband match.

Boost est and actual boost are not nearly as important. The only real use in my opinion is to use it as a indicator of a boost leak or when the fuel system is I running out. If you have a boost leak your boost-est will be very high compared to actual boost. The same thing can happen if your running out of fuel your boost-est will be high since you are opening the injectors more to compensate for a drop in fuel pressure.But in both cases you will see a significant difference like 10-20psi.

Some good info here but I would like to add something to it. Keep in mind that your AFEst is directly related to the maxoctane table in direct access, so whatever cell values you have in maxoctane table that's the values that will be displayed under AFEst in open loop. First you have to setup your maxoctane to whatever a/f ratios you want to run at a given load/rpm then you can tune your wideband a/f ratios to match AFEst either with SD or MAFcomp.

At 5500 rpm boost est is 7.8 psi and gauge is 10 psi.
At 5500 rpm my AFEst is 10.7 and wide band is 11.2

How do I fix this?

Let's say your AFEst is at 10.7 and your wideband is 11.2 but you want your final a/f ratios to be 11.5 so first what you need to do is change the cell being used in maxoctane at that load/rpm to 11.5 this will actually lean out your car some but it will not lean it out a full .8 (11.5-10.7=.8) it will actually be a bit less, each car will vary. You will have to make the same changes to the rest of the cells at higher rpms under the same load, essentially you want to make them flow smoothly from cell to cell. As load/boost increases you want the a/f ratios to drop down to your final desired a/f ratios and stay there.

If you want a better idea of how your maxoctane table should look like check out the settings I posted on this thread in post #14, you can probably just load that map on your ECU and fine tune it to your likings from there.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/467001-car-dies-when-grounding-timing-through-link.html
Keep in mind that once you start messing with maxoctane table you will want to set all the fuel sliders under fuel tab in live access to 0 because any changes to the sliders will offset the values displayed under AFEst from maxoctane table. Once you get your maxoctane table setup then all your tuning will be done from MAFcomp or SD depending on what you choose to run.

So now that you leaned out your maxoctane cells you will have to raise the sliders in MAFcomp to get more fuel witch essentially will bring your BoostEst closer to your actual boost.

If you choose to load that map to your ECU it will probably make significant changes to the a/f ratios both in open and closed loop operations. In closed loop your fuel trims will be effected so you will have to use MAFcomp adjust tool while cruising around to take care of that. As for open loop when you take the car out don't just red line it because who knows what your a/f ratios will be like. Start out about 2000 rpms in 3rd gear, roll in to boost and hold it in boost for about a 1000 rpms, left off and check your log, make changes to your MAFcomp sliders and do it again. As you get your a/f ratios dialed in at lower rpms keep reving it higher until its dialed in to red line.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back