The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

boosted 420a 97 talon build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbreezy414

Probationary Member
Jan 11, 2016
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
So my buddy and I picked up a 97 talon with 420a that had been turbo`d for 300 dollars early this week. Sadly it didn't come with the turbo that came on the car, but we got one out of the deal. So we are trying to piece it together with the parts that were given to us. Overall the car is in ok shape 116k minimal to no sturt tower rust sadly it was hit passenger quarter panel was hit pretty good.

Our plan is to have her running within in the next week. we are pretty confident that is possible LOL. Thing is we haven't really worked on a car that has been turbo`d so this is kinda new to us. So any insight would be greatly appreiated:pray: we are quite excited and determined to get her running and on the road again.

We are currently trying to figure out if we can run the turbo that we were givien. We believe it to be a t25, the car was running a t3 turbo before we got it. We are getting an adapter flange for it but we noticed that the turbo wouldn't sit right ( vertically) so that won't work. We are thinking that either its get a new turbo or a manifold that would fit the turbo? Thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated thank you. I'll get some pictures up once I figure out how to LOL

Last edited:
The manifold is most likely a t3 flange, it will not work with mitsu flange types. Better off buying a new turbo, A china charger off ebay will do or if you can find a good name brand even better. Just make sure to use a restrictor (1/16 inch) on the feed line.

The manifold is most likely a t3 flange, it will not work with mitsu flange types. Better off buying a new turbo, A china charger off ebay will do or if you can find a good name brand even better. Just make sure to use a restrictor (1/16 inch) on the feed line.

That is our plan as of now. We found a cheap turbo with matching WG and BoV. Hopefully all goes well after that :D

You are going to want to read up on fuel management too...
What all do you know about the car?
Really not much. Other than that it runs. Made it to Wisconsin from Illinois. And the compression test read 180+ for all cylinders. Other than that looks pretty stock other than a few gauges boost, oil pressure and air/fuel ratio. Each day we learn some more this is the first dsm we have owned

Really not much. Other than that it runs. Made it to Wisconsin from Illinois. And the compression test read 180+ for all cylinders. Other than that looks pretty stock other than a few gauges boost, oil pressure and air/fuel ratio. Each day we learn some more this is the first dsm we have owned
When u blow up that 420a look into a evo8 4g63 swap guess its not to hard on na 2g

I'd think you'd need megasquirt or something to run that setup. My guess is that if the guy was smart and cared enough to put in some decent gauges, then he probably has something going on ECU wise. Unless he never got around to finishing the project.

Look under the car and see if you see a Fuel Management Unit(looks like a cirlce with 2 hoses coming off it)under the car, near the gas tank, near the passenger rear wheel. You could run a simple 7/8psi boosted setup on the stock ecu with an FMU and a 255lph pump.

Look under the car and see if you see a Fuel Management Unit(looks like a cirlce with 2 hoses coming off it)under the car, near the gas tank, near the passenger rear wheel. You could run a simple 7/8psi boosted setup on the stock ecu with an FMU and a 255lph pump.

Alright appreciate the insight I'll take a look next time I work on the car.

Ecu might have a piggy back ecu unless they were using a smfu like he said above. As for the turbo ebay is a cheap way or check out the classifieds on here.

Ecu might have a piggy back ecu unless they were using a smfu like he said above. As for the turbo ebay is a cheap way or check out the classifieds on here.
Would i have to open up the ecu to see if it did have a piggy back? Or would it be its own module? And what do you mean by "smfu"? Haha

No need to open ecu. A piggyback will be wired into the ecu harness. Depending how and if they installed one. Could be by the ecu or if wires are longer could be anywhere. As for my typo its sfmu "super fuel management unit. Its made by Vortech.

Update with pictures :D. We have the car running at the moment. There are concerns though:

At idlewith and without the turbo. There is a lopey idle, we were able to drive it n/a up the block but it ran rough cutting out twice. We thought this to be just vaccum leaks and us only running only a header and it being -20° really aren't sure at this point. The rpms stay right at 1k and steady too with both set ups. I jokely said it was cammed LOL, seems unlikely though it has normal cam gears on it...

We are possibly thinking maybe timing is off? Not really sure at this point, so any insight would be greatly appreciated. We are actually going to let it warm up and get to operating temp tomorrow morning (been to cold to be outside lately)

Attachments

• rps20160123_035415_512.jpg
    rps20160123_035415_512.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 71
  • rps20160123_041607_384.jpg
    rps20160123_041607_384.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 85
  • rps20160123_041706_469.jpg
    rps20160123_041706_469.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 75
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back