The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Boost problems on my new RS49 Turbo 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1995gsxtreme

Probationary Member
Feb 13, 2003
Effingham, Illinois
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody can help me. I recently bought a new RS49 turbo (which I love :) from AGPturbo.com (which I don't love :(. Anyway, after I installed my new turbo, intercooler, and placed my old boost controller on the turbo. I cannot get the wastegate to open at the right time... I want to run about 15-16 psi, until I get some different injectors, but it wants to go higher. I was wondering if anybody new how to mess with the wastegate to control the boost, or if you would know why my boost controller isn't working with my new turbo. Just for your info, I have called and emailed AGP several times, with no reply what so ever. I am not pleased at all with their service. (in other words if you might need help with anything, then I wouldn't buy anything from them again.)
So thanks for your help (hopefully).
Any thoughts are welcome. Just imagine having a nice big new turbo, and not being able to get on it. Yes, it is very tragic... haha :`(

Well as far as AGP goes I have dealt with them many times and always get a fast responce they are great with customer service and there work speaks for it self... The real question is do you have the boost controller hooked up right.. Do you have an external or internal gate..

It is internally gated, and I believe I have the boost controller hooked up right. The turbo is set up differently than the stock one. Instead of a line that runs from the compressor side to a T-fitting, one side runs to the wastegate and the other side goes to the boost controller. This turbo does not have a line running to the compressor side of the turbo. So I run a line from the wastegate to the boost controller. and that to the bov, and intake. Any thing else?

Try connecting the bov line directly the wastegate and verify that it's working properly.

I did remove the boost controller to see if maybe the internal gate was set at something, Maybe 12psi or something. But when I got on it, it still went higher than 17psi I would say. When I got the turbo, I thought that the wastegate flapper was a little hard to close right, that wouldn't be a problem would it, since it isn't coming open? I would say maybe it is boost creep, but there are other people with the same setup as me who haven't had any problems. So I don't know. I called AGP again and left a message since I got no answer, and still haven't gotten a reply.

AGP is closed for a few days I believe, no reason to get on a forum and bash them. You've never taken a vacation before?:rolleyes:

1) update your profile so we can better help you

Try this... get a nice healthy vacuum line and run it from the wastegate to the intake manifold. This will allow you to see what the wastegate likes to operate at (considering you don't creep to much).

After you figure out what the wastegate is it, understand that you cannot drop the boost below that point. If it is creeping then you have other issues to solve and its most likely not going to be the turbo, as I know AGP usually does a good job of mating internal gates to large turbo's.
Is anythign ported out? What kind of o2 housing, exhaust do you have?

I have to agree with him about agp taking a gross amount of time to answere phones or respond to e-mails.

Not bashing, jsut stating fact's because they did the same thing to me.

You need to get a hold of them, and explain the problem to them.

Well as for vacation, their message said that they would be back on Monday, the 12th, so I believe that Tuesday would be a normal work day correct? I will try to run a line to the intake. Should I hook up the bov like normal also? It probably wouldn't be very good to bypass it correct? I wouldn't want a compressor surge or something to that extent. I'll let you know if it works or not. Thanks guys

I still havnt recieved word back and I sent the email last week.
mitch

candela said:
1) update your profile so we can better help you
Try this... get a nice healthy vacuum line and run it from the wastegate to the intake manifold. This will allow you to see what the wastegate likes to operate at (considering you don't creep to much).

After you figure out what the wastegate is it, understand that you cannot drop the boost below that point. If it is creeping then you have other issues to solve and its most likely not going to be the turbo, as I know AGP usually does a good job of mating internal gates to large turbo's.
Is anythign ported out? What kind of o2 housing, exhaust do you have?

I understand your frustration with them not calling you back to answer your questions(unaceptable)........but, How do you expect people to help you when you won't even answer the questions that people ask you or do things that people request you do.

These few things will help to eliminate some possibilities and may even help to give you the answer.
Good luck.

Last month, the same week 1995gsxtreme was trying to get ahold of us, I was in Toronto, Ontario filming the episode of Tuner Transformation for The Speed Channel. At that same time, Kevin became very sick, and was unable to make it to work for that entire week. We apologize you were unable to get ahold of us that week.

mitch83, if you haven't received an email back from us, please resend it. We moved web/mail hosting services last week when we released our new website. Chances are, your email was directed to the old host, and was lost.

If either of you have outstanding issues, email me directly at [email protected] and I will take care of it.

Thank You.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back