The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Boost leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badazz92gt

Probationary Member
Feb 20, 2009
Round Lake, Illinois
hey guys, im from lake county area, and i just got my first dsm and im completely new to turbos. i dont have much for tools, and no garage, i was wondering if anyone could help me out trying to figure out if ihave a boost leak somewhere. the car will go to 3k rpm, then i step on the gas and the rpms take so long to get up, and the car wont boost up. this only happens occasionally, its on a pretty stock 1g.

maybe you have a blown turbo or you have it set to the lowest psi?

First: please fill out your profile, specifically any modifications you know of that you or prior owners have made to the car. :) It makes helping folks quite a bit easier.

Check the boost control solenoid (assuming you don't have a manual boost controller), make sure that the lines are connected correctly to it, as well as to the blow-off valve.

Take the intake snorkel off (just a couple of phillips-head screw clamps, nothing too involved), and spin the compressor wheel by hand. Does it spin freely?

Do you have an open-element air filter, or do you have the stock canister in place? If it's an open filter, can you hear the blow-off valve release pressure between shifts?

Performing a boost leak test requires minimal tools; if you're able to remove the intake snorkel (as above), you're all set to do a test after a quick trip to Home Depot. Pick up one of those cheap 5-gallon air tanks, and fill it at the gas station on the way home. :)

This is all stuff you can check in the driveway with minimal tools and no assistance, even in the cold we're dealing with right now. (For comparison, I just swapped 2g front brakes onto our 1g over New Year's eve/day in the driveway. Now that was cold.)

the bcs looks to be hooked up just like in the picture, and the bov is working correctly. this only happens every once in a while, i would say maybe 15% or 20% of the time. as for boost, its not blown (i wouldnt think) because most of the time it will boost up to 13-15 psi at full boost.

oh and i updated my mod list, to the best of my knowledge, i just bought the car and know nothing about them...ive had 3 5.0 fox bodies prior to this

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back