The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Boost Leak Test Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gijoe985

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Grandview, Washington
We're going to be testing our GHS school shop car again today. Planning to follow the instructions here- https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/b...th-boostpro-net-tester.169435/#post-151299069

That said, we have a small tester that will work on our 2.25" throttle body elbow, but we do not have a 4" tester to fit on our holset turbo. We DO have an oval shaped tester (from a 3kgt) that fits into the CIA where the MAF attaches.

The question- Is there any reason why that is a bad place to test from? That would send pressure backwards towards the BOV. I'm jsut not sure if that would be a problem. Otherwise we'd need to fab up another tester for 4".

Well Joe you are just looking for leaks in the system. If you attach your BLT to the TB elbow and test BACKWARDS to the turbo, you would have to block the turbo and the BOV wouldn't have the pressure behind it to keep it closed.
Make sure when you are doing a boost leak test that the tester is on as tight as you can get it. I have had mine blow off of my Holset, and at anything over 20 lbs or so, it is DANGEROUS. Have someone watch the tester where ever you mount it and if it starts to move at all, clear the area. I was lucky and the only one around my car, but when it came off, it was explosive and can hurt you or a student.
Just wanted you to know NOW not later.
Marty

Do you happen to have access to a smoke machine? You can do a smoke test with less pressure and achieve the same results.
Here is what I do though....
Tighten every last coupler in the system and make sure the throttle body bolts are tight.
Most of my leaks come from the silicone couplers at the intercooler connections or the hard piping that has taken the place of any rubber hoses, tighten every clamp and connection.
Many also have throttle body shaft seal leaks also, it is common.
I have some crankcase pressure slipping by too, so I have some leaks at the valve cover breather hose that I have to plug. I also plug the pcv hose so I am not testing it.
There are lots of ways to skin a cat but that is what I have found to be most common on my 1g's.
Mainly, I wanted you to be aware of the possibility of the BLT coming off and hurting someone. :thumb:
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back