The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

boost creep

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtxtsi

Probationary Member
Mar 5, 2003
FloridaUS
i've had my car for about a week now and im hearing alot about boost creep, would some tell me what this means.

thanks

Ill give you a hint...

Look up towards the top of every single page on this forum in the upper right corner area. Its right above dejon tool DSM intakes and right below DSMTunes gear/events...

Ah to be young and naive to the DSM. I miss those days. Anyway you can't hear boost creep. Let me explain:

Boost creep is when the turbo produces more boost than you want it to. Lets say you set the boost controller to 12psi. Well if you got a huge exhaust on the car along with no cat, your little bitty stock wastegate flapper will not be able to expel enough exhaust gases from the turbine wheel to keep the boost at 12psi where you set it. Thus, the boost shall rise above that and continue to rise. I remember when I first got my Apexi downpipe and connected it to my Apexi Cat-back, I got 22psi boost creep easy!!!! So I got a ported O2 housing and a huge 7cm^2 ported 34mm WG Turbine housing for my 14B. Now it is consistent to what I set it over 50 degrees F outside temp. Lower temps cause it to creep again.

Now you can hear the turbo SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL UP. That is an awesomesound and you're crazy if you want it to stop.

To tell if you have boost creep you need a boost gauge.

Rob:thumb:

thankss unforgiven at least some peopel are willing to help teach people who are new and not try and make fun of them.

Us Newbies should start a new board and just invite the helpful ones because there is no reason to be such a-holes about everything lighten up people and have fun. on the VW boards they like to help each other and have fun doing it instead of being smaart-asses about everything we were all new at one point.

lemme piggy back onto this real quick... what would RNR's O2 eliminator downpipe do in relation to boost creep? Help? hurt? not matter at all?

Originally posted by inferno9898
lemme piggy back onto this real quick... what would RNR's O2 eliminator downpipe do in relation to boost creep? Help? hurt? not matter at all?

Unforgiven just answered this with his post above actually. Let me put it to you this way. Stock sized turbos with stock internal wastegates hate massive 3in exhausts. You either need to upgrade your exhaust housing along with the dp, or you need to upgrade the turbos wastegate (ie external).

Originally posted by inferno9898

Large Downpipes cause boost creep beacause they flow just too damn much. I even tried using an external dump and it didn't seem to fix the boost creep problem. Since then, I have gotten rid of it for a ported 2g O2 housing. It works really good. I think a buddy of mine has the RNR DP eliminator. Don't GET IT!!!! It isn't that great because you have to get rid of your stock fan, it makes changing the oil filter really hard, and it is loud and crappy. If you want the ultimate convienient setup, I suggest you keep your DP seperate from your O2 housing/eliminator.

Fixes for boost creep:

Larger A/R (i.e 7cm^2)

Larger WG flapper door (34mm and the hole ported to match)

Ported 02 housing

Ported Manifold

Rob:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back