The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Boost creep with 6076BB and Tial 38mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked96GS-T

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2004
Midlothian, Virginia
Hey, I have a PTE SCM6076 BB turbo on my GSX, and I have just started to tune/break it in. Here is the issue...through 2nd gear it holds 18psi (the wastegate spring pressure) but in second it will creep to 28OMG . I have an SBR manifold with a gate on the manifold, and the wastegate is rerouted into the exhaust. All mods are listed in my sig. Should I dump my wastegate into the atmosphere, or will I need a larger wastegate? Thanks for any and all help.

Did you check that the hole in the manifold matched the wastegate flange?

On my friends manifold the hole in the manifold was way off and really only half of it lined up with the wastegate.

I recall lining it up as I was putting it on, and i know it is not that far at all. I can't really check the flange when the gate is on, at least I can't think of any way to do this.

Make sure you have the W/G hooked up correctly, get the pressure source from lower I/C pipe.(close to the turbo)

Wicked96GS-T said:
I recall lining it up as I was putting it on, and i know it is not that far at all. I can't really check the flange when the gate is on, at least I can't think of any way to do this.

put some rtv on the bottom of the wastegate before putting it on. place it over the wastegate hole, as best you can, coming straight down on it. pull it off, and check where there isn't any rtv at. port if needed. we had this problem with a buddy's external set-up off the o2. we ended up having to port out the wastegate-hole on the turbo. problem was solved.

Shawn

bluegs-t said:
put some rtv on the bottom of the wastegate before putting it on. place it over the wastegate hole, as best you can, coming straight down on it. pull it off, and check where there isn't any rtv at. port if needed. we had this problem with a buddy's external set-up off the o2. we ended up having to port out the wastegate-hole on the turbo. problem was solved.

Shawn

An easier way would be to check the gasket against the wg and then against the manifold. Saves time of having to clean the rtv up.

Anyway, is the mbc tee'd into the bov hose or from the nipple on the compressor housing? It it is from the bov, swap it over to the nipple on the compressor housing(I assume the compressor housing has a port since it is pte) and see if that helps. If it doesnt change, I would call slowboy and see what they say. I couldnt imagine that 2.0 flowing more exhaust than what a 38mm can handle, even with the larger turbo.

92awddsm said:
An easier way would be to check the gasket against the wg and then against the manifold. Saves time of having to clean the rtv up.

Anyway, is the mbc tee'd into the bov hose or from the nipple on the compressor housing? It it is from the bov, swap it over to the nipple on the compressor housing(I assume the compressor housing has a port since it is pte) and see if that helps. If it doesnt change, I would call slowboy and see what they say. I couldnt imagine that 2.0 flowing more exhaust than what a 38mm can handle, even with the larger turbo.

A tial 38 flows well enough not give me creep on my 2.0/pt67 combo. That flows about 45-48 lb/min on pump.
I'd be willing to bet its a vac line issue (tear, etc). Checking to make sure the hole in the flange on the mani is a good idea though. Mine is vented to atmosphere fyi.

My wastegate receives its pressure source from a nipple on the PTE housing. I will try and line up the gasket to the holeand see how that looks. Oh and Keith, I finally got the wideband installed and the car base-tuned enough to drive it around more now if you wanna see it sometime.

Err, i just found the problem...my dumbass somehow put the line to the wastegate on the wrong nipple of the gate:mad: .Well, now I feel dumb, but i'm sure my car is much happier.:p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back