The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Boost Controller not working?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstspyda97

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2004
Vandalia, Ohio
i was driving today and i stopped to turn up the boost, i had it turned down due to it being 65 degrees the other night and i spiked to 25 @ one point and didnt wanna blow my motor any who, in first and second it goes to 20 PSI but in third it will only go to 10 im not sure why it is doing this i never had this problem before, my mods are in profile and the boost controller is MBC by Joe P should i get a EBC now that i have alot more into my car and i want to run 15 daily but 20 at the track....also...with all my mods and it being my dd is 20 psi going to blow my headgasket or any thing if i am driving it everyday but not constanly going balls to the wall with the boost?

thank you
alex

Maybe a boost leak or your BOV, I am not extremely experienced with this matter but I know when I had a boost leak my boost was all over the place. I also believe that a leaky BOV will cause similar symptoms at high boost. Hope I helped

I would just check your MBC. You said it happened after touching the MBC, so its the logical thing. Disconnect the vac lines to the MBC, and inspect the ball and spring inside. Sometimes, if you turn the boost down so much, the spring will be so loose that it can get jammed, causing the boost controller to clog up, happened to me. Make sure you hook the MBC up in the right direction, I had mine in backwards by accident :| and it would spike just like you were saying.

well its still doing it, i un hooked the boost controller and i also checked for leaks, but i did not do a pressure test, but i dont think it would be a boost leak mostly because, in 1st and 2nd it hits almost 25 lbs of boost if i step on it :confused: ....im hoping its nothing really too big like maybe my wastegate is stuck open or the spring is really messed up WTF

Take a vac line and hook the nipple from the turbo directly to the wastegate, this will run the lowest boost possible. If it fixes it, its your MBC. If it still happens, the WG is stuck or isnt opening. I dont know if the 16g has a nipple on the turbo like the T25, but you get the idea. Hook the WG directly to a pressure source.

ok so i found my problem,the intake pipe was sitting right on the wastegate nipple causing a kink in the MBC vacuum line, i fixed this problem and now running 20 psi on my evo316g thru every gear, im reaching boost by 3400-3500 usually...im guessing there is a boost leak somewhere but i leaned out my MAFT and checked my logger and everything seems to be working out right as i just got home from a quick test run and now get fuill boost by 3200! so thanks for everyones help....also i had installed my 550s AGAIN and i still can not get my MAFT to compensate for them so i put the 450s back in....im hoping to hook up the SAFC 2 and getting a dyno tune VERY soon....thanks for everyones help once again....no need to continue this thread

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back