The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Boost control solenoid and knock counts..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeRS2gnt

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 20, 2005
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I know for the 1G setup, that timing starts to get pulled back at 7+ counts of knock, but at what knock count does the ECU start to reduce boost via the boost solenoid? I am making the LED knock mod, and it would be nice to know when i see it light up, approx how many knock counts i'm getting at a minimum...anyone know for sure? Been trying to search and find out, but no luck..only timing retard info.. thanks

If no one has any info, i will have to to my own testing with the logger and the LED, and will post back with my results..maybe it will help others who do this mod..

It does reduce the boost level, thats the whole point of having the BCS.

The ecu starts pulling timing at 1 count of knock, I was also under the impression that it started at 7 counts but I found that the VFAQ article is not correct. I have no idea when the ecu reduces boost though, you might want to get in contact with Jeff at Dsmchips or one of the Dsmlink guys.

Signals to the BCS are not normally influenced by knock count. However, when knock is detected, and the ECU has already retarded timing as much as possible, the signal to the BCS keeps it in the open position continuously. An LED linked to the BCS wire would show this situation by lighting continuously.

See TechnoMotive "No-limits" Modifications. Go to Boost limit removed.

Quoted:

- You might already know that the ECU uses the boost bleeder solenoid to reduce the amount of boost when excessive knock is detected. But did you also know that the ECU will use that same solenoid to reduce boost when airflow exceeds the factory preset limit? This can reduce your boost pressure by 2-5 psi at higher RPMs! We've removed this annoyance so that the stock boost bleeder solenoid will only engage when excessive detonation is detected, saving your engine from expensive damage, not robbing it of precious horsepower.​

I've been begging the DSMLink to give us control of the BCS for years now. . .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back