The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

bolting tranny to engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You don't have to. The input shaft spins freely. You do have to have the clutch centered which would be done during a clutch install. If you haven't touched it then it should still be centered.

I have some longer bolts that i get it started with. Once the bolts are thru the bellhousing and threaded into the block you can slide the transmission onto the engine while turning the crank back and forth. It will slide right on. Make sure to grease up the splines on the transmission and it will go it a lot easier. Once you get the transmission pushed up to the transmission than pull the long bolts out one by one and install the right bolts into the holes.

I have not tried this on my Talon, but have used this successfully on a couple of other transmission installs.

This is a variant on the longer bolt suggestion by bryanwheat.

I have cut the heads off the long bolts that have a short section of thread and cut a slot so I could turn them with a screw driver. Making install/alignment pins. These alignment pins are installed before the transmission to make aligning the transmission to the clutch much easier, no fuss trying to get bolts started while trying to position the transmission. The pins line everything up and you just need to get the transmission in place on the pins. Once the transmission is snugged up with one or more of the other bolts These can be removed with a screwdriver and the normal bolts installed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back