The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bolting Buscher 2.5" to stock cat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfusionpm

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2003
San Diego, California
maybe the one i had was just welded wrong, but i just got it in the mail for my talon. i went to instal it today and had several difficulties. first of all, i couldnt get the nuts off the bolts holding on the stock exuast for the cat, and took me a loooong time to finally get them off, but thats another story. once off, fitting the new one on was very very difficult. the holes on the end wouldnt fit directly to the cat. it looked like it could fit, but was just a tiny bit off. the problem, it was designed for a buscher catalytic converter, and the end piece (flange, i believe is the term?) was welded on at just bearly the wrong angle for the stock piece. after a good hour of working it back and forth and trying different methods we finally got it actually on the bolts and started to screw it on. but it wouldnt screw all the way shut. for the life of me, i was not able to screw the passenger side screw in. even using my dads compressed air impact gun, it wouldnt budge. a few hours later i just gave up and tried to turn that fvcker with a wrench one more time, and i got it to budge maybe 1/8 of an inch, but its still not closed. also, even as it is now, the angle at which its bolted is very awkward, and forcing the cat upwards and to the drivers side. tomorrow im gonna go out and try it again with a wrench. as you can see in the pic below, the bolt on the top (passenger side) is the one i need to tighten, but as i am doing so, it is bending the other side to fit it. on machv.com, it says "Slotted bolt holes on the flange mean you can fit it up to a stock cat, too, but it's not as perfect as the 2.5" cat." i didnt realize it would be that bad, but oh well... worst case scenario, what would happen to it as is, and what could i do otherwise to fix it? i guess i only really have two options though; crank that bolt till my arms fall off, or bite the bullet and buy a new cat(which i really dont want to do, im pretty tight on cash). any help/ideas are welcome.

oh, and also, ive owned my first dsm for almost 2 years, and my second one for about 3 months, but am still pretty much a newbie OMG

Attachments

• dsc05521.jpg
    dsc05521.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 86
As is, you are going to have an exhaust leak, so if an inspection is coming up, it would not pass.

Originally posted by cfusionpm
that bad, but oh well... worst case scenario, what would happen to it as is, and what could i do otherwise to fix it? i guess i only really have two options though; crank that bolt till my arms fall off, or bite the bullet and buy a new cat(which i really dont want to do, im pretty tight on cash). any help/ideas are welcome.

oh, and also, ive owned my first dsm for almost 2 years, and my second one for about 3 months, but am still pretty much a newbie OMG

Does Buscher's catback always look like its bent?
Asking other dsm owners that have this exhaust.
Im not saying its bent (yes i am) but rather im asking is it supposed to look bent and connect to the cat that way?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back