The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

bolt on slowboy gt35r..good or bad ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slippi84 said:
Where are you getting this miss information from. A 3065 is rated to 65lbs/min, I have a gt14 with the same exact chra and even a smaller exhaust wheel and both turbos are rated to 65lbs/min. Maybe a stock housing like the ones found on a 16g or so are greatly outflowed by the fp housing but not a bolt on housing found on most aftermarket turbos like the gt14 th rs65t scm61 and so on. I take you haven't run these turbos are your a n/t-T but in reality these turbos are so close in most of the power characteristics that any one of them will support 600 hp makin your points and argument void because at 600whp you got to be doing something right.
The FP bolt on housings do flow better than 7cm^2 mitsu housings and bolt-on PTE housings. The FP housings make the scm series housing look like a schoolboy bi***, even my bullseye housing makes the scm series look bad.

I went from a tdo5 housing 18g turbo that spooled around 3400rpm to a p-trim turbine, 65lbs/min turbo that spools at 4200rpm. The larger turbo is a much better daily driving turbo IMO.

Coup D E'Tat said:
300RPM is nothing in the real world. Take on top of that, the fact that his turbo has a higher max flow rating, a better flowing hotside, and a SMIM.

:boring:
Um no kidding if you are bitching about 300rpm being the differnce between a good dd turbo and a bad one maybe a t25 is what you are after:notgood: How many people would care about 300rpm when you have more power pontential and over all a better turbo?

Slippi84 said:
Ok fine no more comparing I challange any of you to run a t3 housing and then run a bolt on housing on w/e turbo you have and your running now and show logs and I will bet you anything the diffrence in airflow will not merrit the upgrade for the average dsmer. The guy that said his 60-1 t3 spooled to 25 or w/e boost by 4500 I hope you realise turbos like the scm61 and gt35r and my gt14 are DEF bigger and spool slower. If we were talkin about a 60-1 then MAYBE you could say spool would be something you could live with on a 2.0 stock compression motor but a turbo like the gt35r and such no. I will let you speculators and doubters say what you want and when you actually have first hand experience with a turbo this size with a bolt on housing than anything you say will have merit. I own a turbo of which we speak and from what it looks like i am one of the only ones posting that can say so :shhh:

http://dynos.evans-tuning.com/405whpblackitrturbo.jpg

1.8 with a GT35R. T3 .63AR.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/Cprace/KBCIVIC.gif

1.6 with a GT35R. T3 .82AR.

1SloColt said:
The FP bolt on housings do flow better than 7cm^2 mitsu housings and bolt-on PTE housings. The FP housings make the scm series housing look like a schoolboy bi***, even my bullseye housing makes the scm series look bad.

I went from a tdo5 housing 18g turbo that spooled around 3400rpm to a p-trim turbine, 65lbs/min turbo that spools at 4200rpm. The larger turbo is a much better daily driving turbo IMO.

That is fine you say that's your opinion and that's fine. I'm not trying to down anyone's opinion on here unlike other members just trying to point out how I feel about t3 housing on BIG turbos not just any turbo. Last time I checked this was a poll not a debate forum

black91awdturbo said:
Um no kidding if you are bitching about 300rpm being the differnce between a good dd turbo and a bad one maybe a t25 is what you are after:notgood: How many people would care about 300rpm when you have more power pontential and over all a better turbo?

ROFL This is funny coming from a guy with no mod list and probably hasn't even run a t3 or bolt on housing this size:rolleyes:

1SloColt said:

Which turbo was this that spooled like that and what kinda setup where you running it on?

suicidal2af said:

I got a couple 1000hp dyno graphs I found online click here to see what my X turbo did on Y car :notgood:

Random links do nothing to prove anything. Not to mention the second car didn't hit full boost till 5200 but it doesn't even matter because there is no car info video or even the person whose car it was to vouche for it.

Slippi84 said:
ROFL This is funny coming from a guy with no mod list and probably hasn't even run a t3 or bolt on housing this size:rolleyes:

What an excellent argument.

We're all showing you proof of cars, you've shown nothing to back your argument up. Aside from compression ratio, suicidal2af has provided some good examples. On smaller motors they're still spooling fast.

I believe 1SloColt was running an GT40/P-trim setup. (SC61 variant in a Bullseye housing.)

I have no idea why I remembered that. ROFL

Coup D E'Tat said:
What an excellent argument.

We're all showing you proof of cars, you've shown nothing to back your argument up. Aside from compression ratio, suicidal2af has provided some good examples. On smaller motors they're still spooling fast.

I believe 1SloColt was running an GT40/P-trim setup. (SC61 variant in a Bullseye housing.)

I have no idea why I remembered that. ROFL

What do I have to argue for. I made a factual statement bolt on hosings spool faster and are more streetable. Now if you think full boost at X rpm is fine that's you and who am I to argue but I don't think that spool past 4500 is fun for a car you drive everyday. That's my opinion i'm not arguing anything. The only thing i thought was naieve of you guys and mad me even waste the engery posting is that your on here saying the bolt on housing can't make ggood power which is bull. I just don't want every new dsmer to come on read what you guys are typing and not hear the other side.

Problem is, bolt on housings tend to be peaky and drop quickly up top. What good is a 65 ln/min compressor if you can only rev to 7000 before power dies?

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand what you're trying to say. Guys like Curt Brown went 9's on a TD06H housing (FP Red.)

Problem is, big power bolt on guys are very few and far between because of the way the turbo's make power, hold power, and support power. The big power guys we all hear about are the people pushing the limits of whatever they're running - far from the average user.

We, on the other hand, are showing that every day cars with T3 housings are pumping out better numbers, while still maintaining fine drivability. Is there a slight spool sacrifice? Sure, maybe a few hundred RPM (as I noted earlier,) but I'll take 50whp for 300RPM any day of the week.

Coup D E'Tat said:
Problem is, bolt on housings tend to be peaky and drop quickly up top. What good is a 65 ln/min compressor if you can only rev to 7000 before power dies?

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand what you're trying to say. Guys like Curt Brown went 9's on a TD06H housing (FP Red.)

Problem is, big power bolt on guys are very few and far between because of the way the turbo's make power, hold power, and support power. The big power guys we all hear about are the people pushing the limits of whatever they're running - far from the average user.

We, on the other hand, are showing that every day cars with T3 housings are pumping out better numbers, while still maintaining fine drivability. Is there a slight spool sacrifice? Sure, maybe a few hundred RPM (as I noted earlier,) but I'll take 50whp for 300RPM any day of the week.

That is cool. I can live with that as that's your opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thing is I think we have a diffrent opinion on what good hp is. If my car makes 500whp and then drops to 430whp cause my hosuing isn't cutting it that's still more power than 85% of the people on tuners. I don't think that a bolt on housing is as inadequete as you guys make it out to be and I will have dyno and flow bench numbers for everyon in the next month and will post a big thread about both my exhaust hosuing and my turbo as both have been constantly doubted and the only way to settle things are to compare.

Edit: I haven't been on here a year and i've posted 500 times!! I need to get out the house more

Slippi84 said:
What do I have to argue for. I made a factual statement bolt on hosings spool faster and are more streetable.

"Streetable" means different things to different people. AMS has a steet driven GT-42 powered EVO with 800+ WHP. Several folks out there with street driven 600-700WHP FP3575s. Than again there are people complaining that their 250HP 16G spools late :rolleyes:

Ask any turbo builder, bolt-on housings are compromises. You get a more affordable turbo with a one-size-fits-all turbine housing at the expense of some performance.

Does this mean does this mean "bolt-ons" are bad? No. Not everyone can afford a full-Garrett or FP3xxx, nor will everyone run a turbo at 90% of it's potential.

But if you do have the budget and don't like compromise, the choice is obvious :dsm:

Slippi84 said:
That is cool. I can live with that as that's your opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thing is I think we have a diffrent opinion on what good hp is. If my car makes 500whp and then drops to 430whp cause my hosuing isn't cutting it that's still more power than 85% of the people on tuners. I don't think that a bolt on housing is as inadequete as you guys make it out to be and I will have dyno and flow bench numbers for everyon in the next month and will post a big thread about both my exhaust hosuing and my turbo as both have been constantly doubted and the only way to settle things are to compare.

Look at the name of the thread... We arent talking about a small turbo

Most of the bolton turbo work well if they have a over sized turbine wheel than normal for the turbo. But having choices in turbine a/r and turbine wheel sizes are the best way to do it but not everyone has the $$ to have everything setup perfect.

I run a variant of the sc61 as coup D E'tat mentioned. Its a gt40 compressor mated to a bullseye housing and they threw in the good size p-trim. I'm at 20psi at 4250rpm according to my logger. The rest of my shit is basic bolt-ons just to support that turbo. Medium sized front mount, gm maf and translator, Tial 44 on custom designed O2, Tial BOV, 3.5" exhaust, ported 2g manifold, bone stock 1990 longblock including stock 90 junk cams. Car does ok up to about 25-26psi, then it starts getting rediculous after 26psi. There is a guy on here from canada running an scm61, trapping 139 on boost alone. I'm sure he's at the limits of that bolt-on housing cause I know the compressor has more left in it but for a bolt-on housing thats some pretty nasty trap speed.

f4st said:
Look at the name of the thread... We arent talking about a small turbo

Thanks man I didn't know what WE were talkin about. I mean it's not like I've been posting the whole time and know what the debate was over or anything. :rolleyes:

I know we're talkin about big turbos and by the way I have one;)

DSM90AWD You are a very wise dsmer but I think you got it backwards bolt on hosuing turbo's usualy cost more than t3 hosuing turbos because they're harder to make work. My gt14 brand new from sbr with my pro shroud t04s cover ported exhaust side and install kit sis 1600 bucs!!!!. I could have almost went and bought a dam gt42 with that money. ROFL

Edit: I"m sorry I was wrong the t3 hosuing varrient is 17 dollars and change more.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=33&
http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=19&

1SloColt said:
I run a variant of the sc61 as coup D E'tat mentioned. Its a gt40 compressor mated to a bullseye housing and they threw in the good size p-trim. I'm at 20psi at 4250rpm according to my logger. The rest of my shit is basic bolt-ons just to support that turbo. Medium sized front mount, gm maf and translator, Tial 44 on custom designed O2, Tial BOV, 3.5" exhaust, ported 2g manifold, bone stock 1990 longblock including stock 90 junk cams. Car does ok up to about 25-26psi, then it starts getting rediculous after 26psi. There is a guy on here from canada running an scm61, trapping 139 on boost alone. I'm sure he's at the limits of that bolt-on housing cause I know the compressor has more left in it but for a bolt-on housing thats some pretty nasty trap speed.

I see bolt on guys are coming out the wood work now. I guess they're not as few and far apart as you guys thought.:rocks:

Nobody said they didn't have there place, or that they were rare. I have a decent sized turbo with a bolt on housing. I don't really like it. I've ridden in and tuned cars with larger T3 housings and spool is similar and top end is totally different. You aren't going to see a huge difference in spool time if everyting is tuned properly.

Slippi84 said:
DSM90AWD You are a very wise dsmer but I think you got it backwards bolt on hosuing turbo's usualy cost more than t3 hosuing turbos because they're harder to make work.
Truth. An oldman told me that once (ok more than once) ;)

Edit: I"m sorry I was wrong the t3 hosuing varrient is 17 dollars and change more.

Forgot to add in the T3 Manifold, T3 O2 Housing and External WG. This shiiite gets expensive OMG

DSM90AWD said:
Truth. An oldman told me that once (ok more than once) ;)

Forgot to add in the T3 Manifold, T3 O2 Housing and External WG. This shiiite gets expensive OMG

I changed out all that suff anyway. To the guy who said that no ones said they were rare your wrong go back coupe said tand I quote "
Problem is, big power bolt on guys are very few and far between because of the way the turbo's make power, hold power, and support power. The big power guys we all hear about are the people pushing the limits of whatever they're running - far from the average user"

That's why I made that statement in my previous post. Listen guys we talk about average do you guys realise the TRULY average dsmer looks at 4300rpms full boost as rediculous slow because the TRUE average dsmer is running a 16g and some basic bolt on mods. I know i'm a crazy bastard and spent over 8k on my car in less than a year. I hear from everyone that I should have bought a new car instead :rolleyes: lets hear them say that when i'm running 10's:rocks:

Slippi84 said:
TRULY average dsmer looks at 4300rpms full boost as rediculous slow because the TRUE average dsmer is running a 16g and some basic bolt on mods. I

I have high standards ;)

But, a 35R isn't really an "average" turbo, although more and more are popping up.

Slippi84 said:
Where are you getting this miss information from. A 3065 is rated to 65lbs/min, I have a gt14 with the same exact chra and even a smaller exhaust wheel and both turbos are rated to 65lbs/min. Maybe a stock housing like the ones found on a 16g or so are greatly outflowed by the fp housing but not a bolt on housing found on most aftermarket turbos like the gt14 th rs65t scm61 and so on. I take you haven't run these turbos are your a n/t-T but in reality these turbos are so close in most of the power characteristics that any one of them will support 600 hp makin your points and argument void because at 600whp you got to be doing something right.

Its pretty much commmon knowledge. There a LOTS of people to make close to and over 600whp with a the FP turbine housing, where slowboy is the only one I have heard of to do it with their stuff. Also, consider it was made when there was snow on the ground/dyno (if you have any dyno experience you would know the numbers are a good bit better when it's cold out, let alone cold enough for snow to stick around) and it was also done on a hub dyno, which can be optimistic.

The PTE and SBR housings are just fine if you are looking for a modest power output. If I wanted between 5-600whp, the only bolt on I would think about would be the FP unit. Even then, you will see the power at less boost in a big t3 or t4 housing.

Coup D E'Tat said:
I have high standards ;)

But, a 35R isn't really an "average" turbo, although more and more are popping up.
They are standard operating procedure in this area. If you don't run a turbo that's flowing 60-70lbs/min around here you'll get walked on.

1SloColt said:
They are standard operating procedure in this area. If you don't run a turbo that's flowing 60-70lbs/min around here you'll get walked on.

Yes, Pittsburgh suburbs aren't the hot spot for 500+HP cars ROFL

Well I race riced out civics and things of that nature with 350hp I could walk on most of the ppl around meROFL So even if my turbo which I think will make 500whp only puts out 450 or so i'm still more than happy:rocks:

By the way coupe your standards are like saying you'll only date girls hotter than jessica simpsonROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back