The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

bolt broke off in o2 housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alIan

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2002
Thousand_Oaks_CA_(near_LA)
I was attempting to take off my o2 housing today to install my RNR exhaust and the first bolt that i worked on broke off inside the turbo side... i used liquid wrench and everything, ..

I know i'm not the first person to do this, so my question is... what should i do about that bolt? i dont want to run it on 3 bolts but if necessary i can... i havent removed the others yet either.. does anybody have a little trick or hint to help them to not break off? any help on these 2 questions is appriciated... thanks :)

Ian

i was thinking about taking my exhaust manifold and turbo off and taking it to an exhaust shop to re-tap the screw and loosen the others... do you think this would be a good idea?

I just went through the same thing trying to install my RnR. I tried to get around taking everything off, but eventually I gave up and pulled the exhaust manifold, turbo, and O2. I know it may seem like a lot of work and it gets frustrating, but it's worth it in the end. You will need to use a torch to heat up around the bolt to get it out. I had to use the same method to get my O2 sensor out of the housing. While you're in there, you might as well replace some other things and make your life easier later.
1. Buy high temp anti-sieze and coat every bolt, nut and stud with it
2. Get a new oil supply line and if you want a new oil return (Slowboy)
3. I'm assuming 2g from other posts, get your exhaust manifold ported
4. Get your O2 housing ported and if you want port the turbo to match
5. Get new gaskets or make your own where necessary

I thought installing my exhaust would take one day and it ended up taking 4.

I did the same thing about a year ago. I used it as an excuse to get a new turbo :D

or you can take just the turbo to a shop to have the broken bolt removed. might cost you $100, but it's easier than taking off the exhaust manifold and breaking off studs in the head.

AMS pulled a broken turbo bolt (you know, the $8 ones) out that had broken off inside a buddy's turbine housing. they built up the bolt with welding material until they could weld a nut on it. then rotated it out, i don't know if they heated it up or not. i don't remember what he paid either. maybe $60. no drilling, no retapping.

i would avoid taking off the exhaust manifold at all costs. especially if it's never been off the car.

if you do take it to a shop, i'd ask them how they planned on getting it out before you take it there.

Ben

Originally posted by bjgarvin
or you can take just the turbo to a shop to have the broken bolt removed. might cost you $100, but it's easier than taking off the exhaust manifold and breaking off studs in the head.

AMS pulled a broken turbo bolt (you know, the $8 ones) out that had broken off inside a buddy's turbine housing. they built up the bolt with welding material until they could weld a nut on it. then rotated it out, i don't know if they heated it up or not. i don't remember what he paid either. maybe $60. no drilling, no retapping.

i would avoid taking off the exhaust manifold at all costs. especially if it's never been off the car.

if you do take it to a shop, i'd ask them how they planned on getting it out before you take it there.

Ben

Actually it was $30

I would not even attempt to remove exhaust mani if you don’t need too (you don’t). Before you try taking off the turbo bolts (if you do decide to drop the turbo), I would heat them up real good with a propane torch (or equivalent) and tap the top of the bolt with a hammer a couple times. You would be surprised how much easier they come out with the bolt hot as balls.

As far as removing the broken bolt - I agree with what was said above.

actually i had the bolt removed by a deburring company about 30 mins from where i live. it cost 25 bucks.. took those bastards 3 days though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back