The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Boiling my power steering fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxitement

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2002
DOBBS FERRY, New_York
So, as the title suggests, this weekend at NJMP, I had a couple occurrence of boiling over my power steering fluid. Now, I do have a cooler. It's an old 1G oil cooler. Mounted in between the intercooler and radiator. I also have one of those carbon nostrils aimed right at it. Last year at this same track, ambient temps were way higher than this past weekend, and this didn't happen. Just curious if anyone has had an issue like this before and what they did to correct it. I was thinking maybe an underdrive pulley for the pump, but not sure about that. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

PS Delete. :)

Maybe you'r "old" 1g cooler is now even older.. and something's failing somewhere.. I think B&M coolers are around 30 or so at your local parts stores, If I were you I would upgrade just to be safe, even if there is an underlying cause it'd be best to eliminate any variables.

PS Delete. :)

Maybe you'r "old" 1g cooler is now even older.. and something's failing somewhere.. I think B&M coolers are around 30 or so at your local parts stores, If I were you I would upgrade just to be safe, even if there is an underlying cause it'd be best to eliminate any variables.
Maybe. It was fine last year. And gotta run power steering. Road racing with no power steering would suck the big one. I'll look into upgrading the cooler. It was mentioned on my build journal to go to a larger reservoir as well. I'll do some research on that too.

My cooler is the factory 90 tube across the front and back and I've never experienced boiling PS fluid and it used to be hot as hell under my hood. I have never road coursed my car tho. Maybe the oil cooler isn't flowing good enuf or getting enough air?

My cooler is the factory 90 tube across the front and back and I've never experienced boiling PS fluid and it used to be hot as hell under my hood. I have never road coursed my car tho. Maybe the oil cooler isn't flowing good enuf or getting enough air?

I was considering that maybe that cooler wasn't able to flow enough fluid through it. I'll look into a higher flowing cooler.

How old is the fluid?

Also have you looked into other brand fluids with higher boiling points?

I'll sendy brother a text tomorrow and see what he suggests/uses in his AER car.

The fluid wasn't brand new. I've had a couple people mention redline power steering fluid. I'll investigate further.

My car has been fine @2.75 hours of road race. I think your oil cooler can't flow enough through it.
I'm using the Stock tube that goes through the front. And generic auto transmission fluid.

I had the same issue until I got this...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/prm-1001/overview/

Attachments

• th_image060.jpg
    th_image060.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 107
Awesome guys! Thanks so much for the input. I think I have a good direction to go in with this issue. Thanks again everyone! I will make changes and post my findings in October after Lime Rock.

I have not had power steering boiling issues with my 2g during road course duty, but did the first time taking my Evo to Waterford Raceway. As suggested, I went with a better cooler (B&M) paired with fresh Redline (30404) synthetic Power steering fluid. Any cooler would be better than the loop. Since this change, I have not had a boiling issue.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a budget solution, most 02-05 explorers/mountaineers with a 4.6 will have an external PS cooler that looks similar to the one Scott linked.

It hadn't happened before Sunday. Even this season event was WAY hotter out than Sunday and I didn't have an issue. Next time e out is Lime Rock in October, so it'll be way cooler out then, so it'll be tough to gauge any improvements. But I'll do a better cooler and the redline fluid. Maybe make a bigger reservoir as well.

One last thought may be to make a heat shield for the pump using some thin metal and DEI reflective tape. The tape may also be helpful on the reservoir as well.

i thought stock PS pump does have an oem heat shield. but more is better in heat shielding.

I would suggest a proper heat exchanger sized similar or larger to stock 90 turbo engine oil cooler. at what temp does the ps fluid boil? 300+ deg F? seals, gaskets and hoses don't appreciate high temps. oem ps cooler on my other car is 24" wide and about 4" tall. that vehicle also has a basic steel pipe oil cooler on the subframe post pump and prior to the rack. cool fluid will also cool the pump.

good luck.

Great! These are all sound ideas that will get tested. This is a shot of how my coolers are setup. Gonna work on some proper ducting and an extraction style hood. Thanks for all the input folks!!! Hopeful to follow up last weekends win with a win at Lime Rock in October to finish out the season.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back