The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Bock's 1G-BA Resto

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here we go again, as i sold my 2G, i'm starting another build thread. This one will be for my 1G.
Plan is to keep everything as stock a possible + few upgrade to improve reliability.

So i bought last december an all stock 1GA TSi AWD with a nice and clean interior and a good running engine.
With, A LOT , of canadian weight reduction. (AKA a damn rusty-rotten shell).

IMG_1690.JPG IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1692.JPG IMG_1693.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1696.JPG IMG_7666 - Copie.JPG IMG_7667 - Copie.JPG

Then, a month ago, a found a really clean rolling shell, 1GB TSI AWD, without engine/trans and the missing interior. No rust! With only a few dent here and there.

IMG_1179 - Copie.JPG IMG_1180 - Copie.JPG IMG_1181 - Copie.JPG IMG_1182 - Copie.JPG IMG_1183 - Copie.JPG IMG_1184 - Copie.JPG IMG_1185 - Copie.JPG IMG_1226 - Copie.JPG

Plan is to swap everything from the 1GA to the 1GB (front+rear end, door, tailgate, wing..) . I really love the pop headling and black tail light. Sorry for the 1GB lover :p
This will come with a full repair/repaint of the car + all of the mecanic maintenance. Maybe a rebuilt on the engine. Will see later.

It should go like this:

1-Parting our the 1GA
2-Cleaning and reassembling interior/exterior parts on the 1GB (to make sure i do not forgot any parts before sending the 1GA to the scrap yard)
3-Body job IN/OUT/UNDER/ENGINE BAY
4-Mecanic rebuild/maintenance and final install
5-Driving the car !

I began 2 week ago in the parking, but now that i've freed the garage it should go quicker.

IMG_1705.JPG IMG_1706.JPG IMG_1698.JPG IMG_1708.JPG IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1967.JPG IMG_1966.JPG IMG_1942.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
Some update, i'm in a rush to remove everything good on the black 1GA. The car is at my father's home and he is moving in 2 week.

Today i took off the drivetrain.

Here is a few photos, look at this gorgeous rust/weight reduction.

IMG_2095.JPG IMG_2096.JPG IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2098.JPG IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2101.JPG

Had a surprise under the right rocker molding, some rust was hiding there. Not a big deal, made a patch panel (+cut rust and weld) and voila.
Both rear quarter panel and roof top are on primer.
Moving on doors, front fenders and hood.

Attachments

• IMG_2686.JPG
    IMG_2686.JPG
    696.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2689.JPG
    IMG_2689.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    975.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2786.JPG
    IMG_2786.JPG
    842.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    800.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2793.JPG
    IMG_2793.JPG
    798.4 KB · Views: 169
All the interior is done + rear body part too. Front bumper/lamps/accessory will wait at the end (after the engine).
All of the damn key cylinder was seized up. had to play to the locksmith. First try at this and everything thing went perfect. thx to a write-up on the forum.

Now im rebuilding the suspension/direction/brake/fuel&brake lines.
Everything will be sandblast like my previous build.

Between the wait time for the blasting, i'll do the new brake/fuel lines.
Already clean and repaint the underside of the car while everything is off the car.
All new balljoint/bushing kit/tie rods are in the mail, should have this soon.

Cant wait to put everything together !

**Im so happy been able to find that OEM 1g radio cassette player!! :)

IMG_3718.JPG IMG_3719.JPG IMG_3925.JPG IMG_3926.JPG IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3932.JPG IMG_3933.JPG IMG_3934.JPG IMG_3939.JPG IMG_3940.JPG IMG_3941.JPG IMG_3970.JPG

Didnt plan to drop the fuel tank but thank god i did it LOL.
Wtf is that rotting mouse nest.

+ i did my brake/fuel line, first try with nickel copper lines and this was so easy to bend. I'll never go back to steel.
While having the fuel tank out, i did clean and paint the tank and the fuel pump hanger with new AN fitting and wiring.

IMG_4130.JPG IMG_4131.JPG IMG_4133.JPG IMG_4212.JPG IMG_4213.JPG IMG_4367.JPG IMG_4368.JPG

Update!

The car is back as a rolling shell! yeah!

Everything is on with new bushing/balljoint/tie rid/link kit/brake/lines/etc.

Im now cleaning & inspecting the tranny.
Rear diff is already done, i'll do the transfer case after.
And then... Engine time! i cant wait to clean the garage (now that she's a roller) than start building the engine.

IMG_4658.JPG IMG_4699.JPG IMG_4767.JPG IMG_4846.JPG IMG_5108.JPG IMG_5109.JPG IMG_5120.JPG IMG_5125.JPG IMG_5126.JPG

Going to be a really nice car soon Alex! Super good job on everything!
Marty

Im finally in the engine rebuild.
Block is done, head is out to the machine shop.
By the time head come back, i'll clean the valve.

I still dont know what to do next.... with all the piping and intercooler.
Should i keep everything original ? or FMIC/Hard pipe + SD?
Part of me would like the OEM setup but the stock piping is sooooo small. And i'm not a big fan of MAF setup :/

IMG_5550.JPG IMG_6035.JPG IMG_6221.JPG IMG_6222.JPG IMG_6389.JPG IMG_6390.JPG IMG_6391.JPG

You aren't going to damage the trans unless you're rammy with it, or doing launches. They will take a ton of power if you only do roll-ons.

Nice work on the build! You are determined LOL. I would have made a road trip down south and grabbed a rust free shell.

I'm facing the same intercooler dilemma. I bought my car bone stock and don't want to cut it up for an FMIC. The stock side mount is a huge bottleneck, so I want to build my own SMIC using a better core. I haven't found a deal on a TIG welder though.

You aren't going to damage the trans unless you're rammy with it, or doing launches. They will take a ton of power if you only do roll-ons.

Nice work on the build! You are determined LOL. I would have made a road trip down south and grabbed a rust free shell.

I'm facing the same intercooler dilemma. I bought my car bone stock and don't want to cut it up for an FMIC. The stock side mount is a huge bottleneck, so I want to build my own SMIC using a better core. I haven't found a deal on a TIG welder though.

I bought last year an Everlast Tig, its a good quality chinese brand. Cheaper than Miller/Lincoln (im not welding for a living) and it as been super good for all my DIY project on my previous 2G build.
https://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/tig-stick/powertig-185dv

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back