1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

BMW dd

Posted by GSXSixteenG, Dec 7, 2010

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Novec64

Novec64 Proven Member

Joined Aug 21, 2009
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    I think an e36 325i would be the best daily driver. I forgot, but I meant to compliment that pic as well piku.

350  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  2. red_devil

red_devil Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Cape Coral, Florida
    The older ones are not much to insure and are proabably more reliable than a DSM. I agree buying new doesnt always make sense, I prefer the older look anyway.

2K  9

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. Benshooter

Benshooter Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I'm not going to fall in love. I'm not going to fall in love. I'm
    not going to fall in love.

4. 91stocker

91stocker Proven Member

Joined Jan 15, 2010
    Vassar, Michigan

Well isnt the title of this thread bmw as a dd?? My reply to your pic was about a bmw as a dd not a "fun car" LOL, so that comment is completely useless. Of course you havent had to change much, its not your dd. and youve only had it for 2 months LOL. Its obvious the point of your pic was an attempt to show off because you have no actual experience with the car yet, so yea dbag status achieved. Im saying the cost as a dd seems a bit high for something your going to wear out in a year or two. People that actually work for a living can put 100k on a car in a year. Its not that hard to do.

Lol wow a 90lb chick is calling me out. That is pretty ####ing ignorant. What could you do about besides stand there and take it? Chicky needs to be taken down a peg. Im guessing your dating a ####y that lets you get away with that. What a shame.

1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.26 @ 102.09 · 1G DSM
  5. paultheninja

paultheninja Proven Member

Joined Feb 5, 2008
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I say get a BMW. They handle great and the e36/e30 platforms are great. My buddy has a e36 with a turbo and it hauls nuts. They make great track cars as well

6. brownfinger

brownfinger Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2008
    Normal, Illinois
    Oh, this is gonna get ugly:applause:

Street Build 786  0

1991 Plymouth Laser N/T
    manual · 1G DSM

678  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. piku

piku Probationary Member

Joined Dec 23, 2009
    new berlin, Wisconsin
    Why can't a DD be fun?..it is my dd, yes I've only had it for two months but I drive a lot - have put almost 4k on it. I like how you assume it's the first BMW I've been exposed to- yes, it's the first I've owned personally but I know a hell of a lot of bimmer enthusiasts and have been around them my whole life.
    I'm really not sure how 2grand is a lot for a dd and why would you buy one that's going to be "worn out" in a year or two?
    This thread is about BMWs, not my personal life. You're the one who came on here to pick an argument, claiming BMW owners are all dbags who drive it to say they own it. I drive it because It's a gorgeous high quality car. end of story. Get off your high horse.

"a ####y that lets you get away with it" HILARIOUS.

210  0

1992 Eagle Talon N/T
    · 1G DSM
  8. brownfinger

brownfinger Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2008
    Normal, Illinois
    I just double-checked: It's the same guy that was calling me a d-bag! I guess some people just like calling other people d-bags. If I'm gonna "try harder to be a d-bag" maybe I should just go buy a BMW! Wow. All these posts and only one person has had any kind of negative, personal, insulting comments to throw around. Yet, somehow, that person isn't the d-bag?

You're calling yourself out, punk!

Street Build 786  0

1991 Plymouth Laser N/T
    manual · 1G DSM

678  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  9. red_devil

red_devil Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Im with you guys, everyone who has ever owned one, or had a ride in one will be for a BMW. They are very well built cars with a huge worldwide following. My boss bought his 325IX for 3k with 140k miles on it. He drives it everyday even in 2 feet of snow and it just plows on. The only thing ever done was the paint job and wheels. It would make a perfect dd as it has room for 4, gets good gas milage, good handling in all weather, nice engine, parts are not expensive, and is a little different. I love my dsm but I would pick a BMW for a dd anyday.

2K  9

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. Trav83

Trav83 Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    Binghamton, New York
    I've owned an '93 Acura Legend before, very comfortable, good power, nice look and easy on the wallet :thumb: Just an opinion

acuralegend32.jpg

549  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    · 1G DSM
  11. 91stocker

91stocker Proven Member

Joined Jan 15, 2010
    Vassar, Michigan
    Yea smart ass. You had it coming. He asked for a luxury car bimmer or something like it. So i brought up Buick/Lincoln and you had to make some smart ass comments, so you had it coming.

In my opinion with bmw you dont get what you pay. A good example of that is how much their value depreciates over the first few years even. If you can pick up a once 50k car for less then the price of a dsm then thats saying something. You cant tell me maintenance is cheap either. The price to mod one(a m3 for example) is extremely expensive, more so then what power you get from that huge price tag.

Even the bmw forums talk about how poor their reliability is, especially compared to other high end cars.

BMW reliability - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Overall census seems to be fun to drive with high maintenance cost and poor reliability.

Heres a comment from a member with 14k posts

"i see more old nissan stanzas and toyota corollas as well as ancient old civics then bmw's... i do have to say though, i do see a lot of older MB's around.

i think a lot of bmw owners wouldn't want to be taken down a peg and admit, while it's designed very nice and pretty, it's as reliable as a GM or Ford.

one thing's for sure: GM's radiators last longer and ford's rear subframe doesn't tear. nissan's alternator isn't $800 and toyota doesn't have PLASTIC water impeller problem. Acura sure doesn't have much electrical problems and at least Hyundai stands behinds their product.

the only thing going for BMW is their handling when you peal away the pseudo-glitz and glamour. they are not fast off the line and are as consistant in reliability as a Skoda. "

Heres another.

"It's a tradeoff. Most Acura/Lexus cars will not be as entertaining to drive as a BMW, or handle the same, or feel the same at high speeds, etc. But they will probably be more reliable. Decide on which of these factors is most important to you. "

I think that link would be a good read for anyone looking to get into a bmw.
    But i stand by my opinion for a dd its not for me.

1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.26 @ 102.09 · 1G DSM
  12. Benshooter

Benshooter Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    :tease: wow

In my area BMW and Audi holds it's resale better than almost any car and there's plenty of cars for sale with 250k miles + that still run and drive like a dream. They have particular problems just like any car. Reliability is has 99% to do with the owner.

Do you realize how stupid you're making yourself look? How many beemers have you owned?

13. 91stocker

91stocker Proven Member

Joined Jan 15, 2010
    Vassar, Michigan
    Can you read?? I guess not becuase its obvious you didnt even look at that link. Just look at what bmw enthusiasts say about their cars. The two quotes i posted from a bmw forum non the less is a pretty good example of the overall opinion bmw owners think of their cars.

and btw piku is not going to #### you if you back her up LOL. Your previous post was just pathetic man, a chick that drives a car OMG!

1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.26 @ 102.09 · 1G DSM
  14. avenged5

avenged5 Proven Member

Joined Jun 22, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I dont see the point behind arguing about how people who like prestigious cars are "dbags". You have fun with your buick regal and theyll enjoy their bimmers.

15. Voodoo262

Voodoo262 Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2010
    Brookfield, Wisconsin
    I laughed

16. piku

piku Probationary Member

Joined Dec 23, 2009
    new berlin, Wisconsin
    LOL I was waiting for you to join us :p

So- answer us this...ARE you a ####y that lets me get away with being a dbag?

210  0

1992 Eagle Talon N/T
    · 1G DSM
  17. Voodoo262

Voodoo262 Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2010
    Brookfield, Wisconsin
    If you were actually a dbag, I wouldn't let you get away with it. Good thing we don't have to worry about that, huh ;)

18. piku

piku Probationary Member

Joined Dec 23, 2009
    new berlin, Wisconsin
    Nope :p I'm really sarcastic and people don't tend to get it..atleast you do.

maybe I should make my plates say "DBAG"
    that'll teach 'em

210  0

1992 Eagle Talon N/T
    · 1G DSM
  19. Benshooter

Benshooter Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada

Do you mean to tell me that things with moving parts can break? My whole world just got turned upside down...

Don't worry man, Ive already got this sh** in the BAG! (or would that be, "in the d-bag"?

Rofl

20. Voodoo262

Voodoo262 Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2010
    Brookfield, Wisconsin
    Actually, I've got this sh** in the bag. (or would that be, "in the sack"?) :thumb:

21. piku

piku Probationary Member

Joined Dec 23, 2009
    new berlin, Wisconsin
    I can't say what I was going to say, for fear of the "dire consequences" he told me I would be facing - and seeing as I'm not sure if I should be excited for or scared of this..I decided to say nothing other than...

Check your fb wall, bia... you owe me head.

210  0

1992 Eagle Talon N/T
    · 1G DSM
  22. Voodoo262

Voodoo262 Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2010
    Brookfield, Wisconsin
    10 hours?? I'm never making a bet with you again ROFL

23. rich3389

rich3389 Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2006
    Ocean springs, Mississippi
    I got a e36 328is with over 215k miles...Pulled the valve cover to change the gasket and the head looked brand new, not even any varnish! The car rides good with no problems, its just gonna need a clutch and some brakes soon.

They seem like good cars to me, but for the price that they are new, I think BMW can offer a little bit more for your money.

But I bought mine for 2 grand so I cant complain and chicks dig it.

815  10

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  24. piku

piku Probationary Member

Joined Dec 23, 2009
    new berlin, Wisconsin
    you can make bets...just don't offer up quite so much...for real? an HOUR per point? not smart my dear, not smart. :p

210  0

1992 Eagle Talon N/T
    · 1G DSM