The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

BMW dd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXSixteenG

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2007
Buffalo, New_York
Hey guys, looking for anyone that has input on bmw's. I'm thinking about getting rid of my dd 96 accord because I'm sick of driving it. The car in question is a 1996 BMW 318ti. Here's the craigslist posting. Let me know what I should look for in these car as common problems. I know there is a lot knowledge to tap into on these forums. I have no real rush to get rid of the accord but this listing caught my eye.

1996 BMW 318ti

i have a 98 m3 and i hate it.i drive my dsm everyday.i will sell you my m3 for 4k

i have a 98 m3 and i hate it.i drive my dsm everyday.i will sell you my m3 for 4k

I'm not necessarily looking for a bmw, just something different to drive and 5 speed. Why do you hate it? Problems with it?

wow that a Deal! they still are bringing 8 or 9k any pics? To the OP i dont like the 325it body style all the others ones im cool with

318ti is a hatchback so its a little different than the 325s. The m3's I have seen around here go for around that as well. If he can drive it all the way to Buffalo I'd consider it.

poor interior quality,poor electronics,crappy made suspension pieces.i broke one of the rear control arms going around a turn fast.and it is underpowered

E36's are good cars and parts are still relatively cheap compared to the new Bimmers. There are a lot of BMW 3 series around with 300,000+ miles. Pelican parts is pretty cheap as far as maintinence parts and there is a huge aftermarket. This link should help as far as a buyers guide. Don't listen to all of the shit E30 guys talk. E30's are lighter, but the E36 has a better suspension, more power, and they're faster.

The m3s have 240 hp and the 325i or 325is have 189 hp. Both L6's. The car you were looking at is an L4, but they get awesome gas mileage, approximately 40 mpg. The L6 still gets 28 to 32 mpg. Im still into bmws, and im turbo charging one. Sometimes its not the car, its the driver, just saying, dont be offended. Also the Coupes were equiped with LSDs!

E36's are good cars and parts are still relatively cheap compared to the new Bimmers. There are a lot of BMW 3 series around with 300,000+ miles. Pelican parts is pretty cheap as far as maintinence parts and there is a huge aftermarket. This link should help as far as a buyers guide. Don't listen to all of the shit E30 guys talk. E30's are lighter, but the E36 has a better suspension, more power, and they're faster.

That link is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

BMW is too expensive and too unreliable to be a dd in my opinion. My best friend has a 95 M3 and has had to replace damn near every sensor under the hood and he's only put about about 8k miles on it in the 5 or so years he's had it. Plus, like already mentioned, the interior is horrible.

Well, I went and checked it out thus morning before work. Turns out to have rust on both rear quarters and passenger side rocker.

I'll keep slowing looking for something to catch my eye. There's no absolute push since my accord is running strong. My price range I'm willing to pay is fairly large but I want to get something that I want to drive. Not just a newer car because its a newer car.

Save some money and get the 6cyl the 4 is not a good motor. Everyone I know that owns a bimmer it has been the best car they have ever had. Just get one thats been looked after. For a daily driver I sure would pick one over a dsm.

Buy a buick, great dd's. Nice power for cruising/passing. Some models share the same options and suspension as cadi's, super quiet ride inside. When mine is no longer road worthy i'll be picking up another one for sure, maybe the new regal. They make great family cars as well.

Buy a buick, great dd's. Nice power for cruising/passing. Some models share the same options and suspension as cadi's, super quiet ride inside. When mine is no longer road worthy i'll be picking up another one for sure, maybe the new regal. They make great family cars as well.

According to Tiger Woods, they pick up the chicks as well.

Did you read any of the posts? How is the above statement a response to the statements below?

My price range I'm willing to pay is fairly large but I want to get something that I want to drive. Not just a newer car because its a newer car.

I'm not necessarily looking for a bmw, just something different to drive and 5 speed. Why do you hate it? Problems with it?

Sure, I think you should go out and find a Roadmaster wagon with the wood-grain paneling on the side:p

i work at a performance shop that specializes in BMWs and race bmws. we have a fleet of e36s that we build and maintain for road racing and autocross. they are great cars just make sure it has service records and expect to have to fix things especially cooling system related. our lead tech who placed first in scca nationals this year in an evo got second place last year at nationals in his daily driver m3 that has over 200k on the stock motor. we love them and they get us many, many trophies.

plus the parts sharing with the car is awesome with e36s. need a new motor? suspension? interior bits? incredibly easy and affordable to find

i work at a performance shop that specializes in BMWs and race bmws. we have a fleet of e36s that we build and maintain for road racing and autocross. they are great cars just make sure it has service records and expect to have to fix things especially cooling system related. our lead tech who placed first in scca nationals this year in an evo got second place last year at nationals in his daily driver m3 that has over 200k on the stock motor. we love them and they get us many, many trophies.

plus the parts sharing with the car is awesome with e36s. need a new motor? suspension? interior bits? incredibly easy and affordable to find

I would love to find an m3 in the area, I've wanted an e36 m3 for a while.

My cousin owns a 325ci, within a very short time of owning it he had to replace EVERYTHING coolant related. Other than that i guess its a nice car

Did you read any of the posts? How is the above statement a response to the statements below?

Sure, I think you should go out and find a Roadmaster wagon with the wood-grain paneling on the side:p

How is it not? Yea its not 5 speed so what. I think it covers your two examples pretty well.

"I'm not necessarily looking for a bmw, just something different to drive "
"My price range I'm willing to pay is fairly large but I want to get something that I want to drive. Not just a newer car because its a newer car."

If you've ever rode in a buick you'd understand. Very classy nice riding cars. The new regal has some styling that resembles a bmw as well.

Lol at the tiger woods comment. I dont think the buick windows hold up to golf club attacks very well haha.

and brownfinger maybe you should try a little harder to be a dbag next time your coming off a little weak.

but if its not an M3, its NOT fun to drive.

What about M5, 335, and 135. I'm sureyou could have some fun in all of those. GrAnted that's not what the op is looking for

How is it not? Yea its not 5 speed so what. I think it covers your two examples pretty well.

"I'm not necessarily looking for a bmw, just something different to drive "
"My price range I'm willing to pay is fairly large but I want to get something that I want to drive. Not just a newer car because its a newer car."

If you've ever rode in a buick you'd understand. Very classy nice riding cars. The new regal has some styling that resembles a bmw as well.

Lol at the tiger woods comment. I dont think the buick windows hold up to golf club attacks very well haha.

and brownfinger maybe you should try a little harder to be a dbag next time your coming off a little weak.

I work at a restaraunt and like 90% of our business is old people over 60. And coincidentally 90% of the cars in our parking lot are all crown vics and buick regals. ROFLROFLROFL

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my wife's DD. She drives in sun, rain and Colorado snow.

It a 97 with the bulletproof 2.8l motor with 180,000 on it. That inline 6 is a torque monster 189hp, 200fp torque and still can get 30mph on the highway. In snow country like here in Colorado and where the OP is from you must have the LSD with traction control since these are rear wheel drive. We picked this one up last year for $4k on Craigslist.

BK85

Attachments

• Finished VC_20100306_158.jpg
    Finished VC_20100306_158.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 32
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back