The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Blue Smoke from Exhaust (Reving and Accelerating)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epreski7

Proven Member
Aug 17, 2014
Oviedo, Florida
My car has been burning oil for around 6 months now. I know its oil since I have to add a quart every 2000 miles. Tried doing a compression test but the autozone tool was a piece of crap and wouldn't go above 90psi even on my dads 2015 suburban. It only smokes when ever I rev it or whenever Ive been sitting at a red light for a while and then go. It wont do it if I leave the light extremely slowly though. Im thinking it might be the valve seals but I want to be sure before I take it apart can anyone confirm this for me. my car also has a vlave tick I don't know if that might have something to do with it

It sounds like valve seals to me. They let oil drip down into the combustion chamber and when you take off you get that dreaded puff of oil smoke. As for the tick, it is most likely lifter tick and that is the HLA's (hydraulic lash adjusters) so the valve stem seals are something different as far as repairs go. Sometimes the lifters will quiet down with an oil change or different type of oil and sometimes they just have to be replaced.

It sounds like valve seals to me. They let oil drip down into the combustion chamber and when you take off you get that dreaded puff of oil smoke. As for the tick, it is most likely lifter tick and that is the HLA's (hydraulic lash adjusters) so the valve stem seals are something different as far as repairs go. Sometimes the lifters will quiet down with an oil change or different type of oil and sometimes they just have to be replaced.
right thanks that's what I was thinking too just wanted somebody else input on it. Yea they'll usually quite down once its warmed up

To be honest, valve seals typically smoke the worst at cold start up. They don't typically smoke during driving, it is possible but not typical. Sounds more like turbo seals OR compression issue to me. In Example: You said if you very lightly accelerate away (stay out of boost, keep turbo spool low) you don't smoke. Check shaft play on the turbo. Turbo still stock? How many miles?

To be honest, valve seals typically smoke the worst at cold start up. They don't typically smoke during driving, it is possible but not typical. Sounds more like turbo seals OR compression issue to me. In Example: You said if you very lightly accelerate away (stay out of boost, keep turbo spool low) you don't smoke. Check shaft play on the turbo. Turbo still stock? How many miles?
No sadly its not a turbo, its a 4g64 with 133,000 miles

My car has been burning oil for around 6 months now. I know its oil since I have to add a quart every 2000 miles. Tried doing a compression test but the autozone tool was a piece of crap and wouldn't go above 90psi even on my dads 2015 suburban. It only smokes when ever I rev it or whenever Ive been sitting at a red light for a while and then go. It wont do it if I leave the light extremely slowly though. Im thinking it might be the valve seals but I want to be sure before I take it apart can anyone confirm this for me. my car also has a vlave tick I don't know if that might have something to do with it
In my experience worn seal most of the time are a result of worn guides. You replace the seals and don't replace the guides its a matter of time before you be right back smoking again. The only exception is a new engine that maybe had a seal install crooked from the get go. If you are smoking as per description sitting , driving, ect the engine just may be on its last leg and need to be rebuilt.

In my experience worn seal most of the time are a result of worn guides. You replace the seals and don't replace the guides its a matter of time before you be right back smoking again. The only exception is a new engine that maybe had a seal install crooked from the get go. If you are smoking as per description sitting , driving, ect the engine just may be on its last leg and need to be rebuilt.
It doesn't smoke when it sits. It smokes whenever I leave a from being stopped for like over 2 minutes, whenever I rev it it lets out a puff of smoke, or when I drive it up onto my wood blanks in order to jack it up. If its anything on the top end I plan on just rebuilding the entire topend

It doesn't smoke when it sits. It smokes whenever I leave a from being stopped for like over 2 minutes, whenever I rev it it lets out a puff of smoke, or when I drive it up onto my wood blanks in order to jack it up. If its anything on the top end I plan on just rebuilding the entire topend
well that's what I am talking about. you have oil building up in the exhaust system from being sucked into the exhaust through worn valve guides its not going to come out just sitting once you give the car gas the smoke is forced out by pressure and this is why you actually see it when you pull off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back