The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Blue heat ring on balance shaft, bad bearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1nd64m3

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2003
chitown area, Illinois
I'm in the middle of resealing my oil pan when I noticed these heat rings around the balance shaft bearing area on the balance shaft itself. Does this look like the early stages of the bearing going bad? Car runs fine, no metal in the oil, oil pressure is fine.

Edit: I was looking at the front balance shaft and it is also blue around the bearing. I'm able to move that one over a little since I have the pulley off of it and the surface of the balance shaft that is in contact with the bearing looks perfect. Also noticed the same heat discoloration on the end of the rear balance shaft where it connects into the oil pump. Is this due to the manufacturing process?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of resealing my oil pan when I noticed these heat rings around the balance shaft bearing area on the balance shaft itself. Does this look like the early stages of the bearing going bad? Car runs fine, no metal in the oil, oil pressure is fine.

Edit: I was looking at the front balance shaft and it is also blue around the bearing. I'm able to move that one over a little since I have the pulley off of it and the surface of the balance shaft that is in contact with the bearing looks perfect. Also noticed the same heat discoloration on the end of the rear balance shaft where it connects into the oil pump. Is this due to the manufacturing process?

If you don't see any sign of damaged bearings in the oil at all, probably it's from the past. Maybe the previous owner badly spun the bearings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back