The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Blown turbo, help me put the finishing touches on my setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigemrich

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Butler, Wisconsin
Alright, well I was hoping my turbo would hang on longer, but lo and behold it has blown before my anticipations. So I am looking to go with a new setup now, here are my for sures

255 High Output Pump
Fuel Pressure Reg.
Injector upgrade
Stainless Steel Lines

DejonTool Cold Air intake
FMIC
GM MAFT
SAFC 2
Profec B Spec 2

3 inch o2 elim exhaust
Datalogger / EGT

My debate is between the 50 trim turbo or the Evo 16g. Being that they are similar turbos I was wondering which would be the easier one to install and with which parts

If I get the 50 trim I will get 660s and the street Intercooler from SBR but I am a bit concerned about lag on the 50 trim as I like to have a quick car at the touch of the pedal. The upside is that I will have no problem ordering an intercooler kit that will fit.

With the EVO 16g I like the supposed quick response of the turbo, but then I am unsure which injectors to get and which intercooler will be matched best with the 16g, and the EASIEST to install.

Bottom line I am shooting for mid to high 12s, but am more appealed to be able to do that and still cruise around town quick-like. If I can find out which injectors to run with the EVO 16g AND and intercooler kit/parts that will be an easier intallation than making your own pipes, I will be more apt to run the 16g. However, if I can not find a good intercooler setup for the 16g than I will go with the 50.

I will not say money is NOT an issue but I am willing to spend what it takes to get the proper parts right away and am willing to pay more to get a "KIT" that will be easier to bolt on, so shoot out any suggestions if you please.
Thank you for your help as always :thumb:

--Kyle :talon:

An Evo III 16g will get you into the 12s easily with 550cc injectors, but they won't let you run significant boost on a larger turbo. So if you upgrade after that, your injectors will need to be upgraded as well.

Lag is basically non-existant with the Evo III and it as an excellent streetable turbo.

If you want the 50 trim, look into getting the new dual ball bearing 50-trim. I bought one to replace my Evo III, but I haven't received it yet so I couldn't tell you the spool-up difference.

ive had both and can say that the 50 trim pulls way harder. on my t3/t4 50 trim, i get full boost by 3800 rpm at the most and it pulls to 8k.

The stock fuel lines are fine but I figured if I get all new stainless steel under the hood everything will fit together with the new lines and the FPR and all that jazz.

My last big concern is an intercooler setup for the Evo III. What intercooler is the best to run and easiest to install. When I get the parts I need to be able to install it quick so I am looking for an intercooler kit that will match with the Evo III and be able to run the GM Maft. If I can find that I think I will stick with the Evo III due to price.

Also, should I go with 550s or 650s. I was thinking 650s, but I read a few things on here about the SAFC not being able to cope with 650s?? I will be running a datalogger, EGT, SAFC II and the Profec B Spec 2. Which injectors are best for the Evo III??

Keep the replies coming guys I REALLY REALLY appreciate it. :thumb:

Rubber fuel lines fit over barbed fittings like vacuum lines fit over nipples. Nothing more compatable than that.

650s for a 16g is over kill. I remember back in the day when 550s and a 20g was all that was needed.

Stapl3 said:
I remember back in the day when 550s and a 20g was all that was needed.

you have no idea how many times i've heard someone say that before :tease:

650's with a 50 trim will do ya good :thumb: i've also went from an e316G to a 50 trim and can't get enough of it :thumb:

Alright, so 550s are good enough for the Evo III, or go with 650s??. I dont care if I go too big unless there is an adverse side effect to that??

Also, What about the intercooler setup on the Evo III? That is one thing I am most concerned about. What intercooler setup is easiest to install that is best with the Evo III??

Thanks as usual guys

Stapl3 said:
650s for a 16g is over kill. I remember back in the day when 550s and a 20g was all that was needed.

Shit im running 720s on my B16g OMG , But i only did it since i got them for free and i have everything to set them up to run like stock out of boost. And im just waiting to get a 3065 :shhh:

larger injectors will give you more dead time on a stock/piggyback ecu setup. Long deadtime will make your idle and part-throttle engine operation suffer, and tuning becomes alot more complicated

^^^Thats true but i have an chipped eprom, gm maft, and a safcII so its not really a problem for me :p

Alright so based on time and no answers on the Evo intercooler setup, this is what I am going with

PTE 50 trim
Stainless Steel Feed Line
Stainless Steel Return Line

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Reg
Stainless Steel Return Line (Or can I just get the barb fittings and rubber fuel line hose?)
Stainless Steel Feed Line
Fuel Pressure Gauge
650cc Ball Syle Injectors
Walbro 255

3''GM MAF
MAFT with extension wire so I can mount inside?
3" Cold Air intake
SBR Street Intercooler Kit 23x7.75x3
2 2.5x3 Silicone couplers to hook up the GM MAF on the intercooler pipe

Profec B Spec 2
Datalogger
SAFC II
EGTs

3 inch turbo back exhaust
Tubular 02 housing
New Exhaust Manifold

How does that sound. If I have left anything out or something doesnt seem to fit let me know. Now just a few more things...

Should I go with a degree colder spark plug or not worry about that for now??

The cold air intake doesnt come with a BOV tube and I dont want to vent to atmoshpere, attracts too much attention. Can I just get a small tube welded into the intake when I get it and hook it up to the 1g BOV I have now. The bov I am going to do the washer mod to raise the PSI level whatever. Would it work to just get a bov tube welded on?

Lastly, should I get the Oil feed line that pulls from the head or the one that feeds from the oil housing. The one from the oil housing says for Garret, Turbonetics and PTE turbos so I am assuming this is the one. I am ordering these from slowboy so if you must see them that is where they are.

Also, for a return line what model do I need, Garrett, GT30, or Mitsu, my guess was mitsu??

Sorry for the novel but I wanted everything to clear and whole so you guys have all the info you need to help. I am just nervous spending this much money and I want everything to be right, I appreciate it greatly and am proud to have my dsmtuners sticker on my ride :thumb: :thumb:

You're wasting too much money.

You don't need stainless fuel lines. If they were needed, they would come factory.

You don't need a new exhaust manifold. Just port the one you have.

You don't need a tubular o2. Just port the one you have.

Why are you wasting your money on a MAFT? Look, for the price of that MAFT, SAFC, logger, and EGT you could have DSMLink.

If you got a 190 pump, you wouldnt need a regulator, gauge, and those dumb lines.

Why are you getting a boost controller like that?

If money isn't an object, I guess you're on the right track.

I'd pass on changing the fuel lines. I'd also get one of the bolt on FPRs. Mine has given me no trouble in the 4 years I've been using it.

I'd pass on the MAFT, logger, and SAFC2 and run a 2g air sensor and DSMLink. It's worth it, been there done that with things other than the Link, and I'd never go back.

If you get DSMLink jump up to the 950cc injectors. They run and idle every bit as well as the 550's, and 660's I've had. No reason not to, eventually you'll go bigger. :D

You need a Garrett return line for a 50 trim style turbo.

The reason I am doing it this way is because in a way money isnt an option. I came upon a bit of money for free and decided to do my engine right and the way that seemed the most painless to do.
I will pass on the stainless steel lines and just use rubber with the barbed fittings. Also, I ended up with a 255 because a friend had one extra, and he gave it to me, so I might as well use it and get the supporting things to go with it.
I also already had the data logger and EGT and SAFC. I also wanted to avoid trying to find a machine shop to do the porting right, because I dont have good luck with getting help with my car around here, so I find it eaiser to just get a new one.
Lastly, I appreciate EVERYONES help here, I got all my questions answered, so thank a bunch..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back