The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Blown Headgasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddMatt17

Probationary Member
Aug 8, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Heres the deal, I was driving my car the other day, and I noticed it was spitting and sputtering awfully bad under around 3,000 rpms. After that it pulled pretty good, but was still a little hesitant. So I only drove around 2 miles, then came straight home. Popped the hood open, and everything looked normal except for the anitfreeze-fluid reservoir. When I looked down into it, I noticed it looked as there were some oil in it. I checked my oil,didnt see any water, but it was about 1/2 a quart low. I checked under the radiator cap, but it was clean?? If this is a blown headgasket, what kind should I get? Also, should I get the ARP headstuds. Mods found in profile.

MaddMatt17 said:
Heres the deal, I was driving my car the other day, and I noticed it was spitting and sputtering awfully bad under around 3,000 rpms. After that it pulled pretty good, but was still a little hesitant. So I only drove around 2 miles, then came straight home. Popped the hood open, and everything looked normal except for the anitfreeze-fluid reservoir. When I looked down into it, I noticed it looked as there were some oil in it. I checked my oil,didnt see any water, but it was about 1/2 a quart low. I checked under the radiator cap, but it was clean?? If this is a blown headgasket, what kind should I get? Also, should I get the ARP headstuds. Mods found in profile.

Does sound like a blown head gasket. Are there any other symptons? Symptoms would include but are not limited to: white smoke, over heating, oil in antifreeze, antifreeze in oil, and constant drainage to overflow, ect. If you are upgrading your head gasket I would recommend the Mitsu metal or Cometic. Also, yes I would so ARP headstuds. It just makes sense to when you have it apart. :thumb:

Also if you don't really know what you're looking for check the oil and if it looks like chocolate milk, you have a blown head gasket.

Thanks for all the help , I will do a compression test before anything else. As for the other symptons I thought I noticed white smoke, but thats all. I appreciate all the help.

-Thanks

White smoke doesn't mean anything. You may have condensation you're burning off which will appear white.
A compression test will tell all ;)

Also check your oil cooler but definitely check compression before you freak out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back