The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

blown headgasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUTOMECH01

15+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2003
detroit, Michigan
have a 91 tsi and i rebuilt engine. 500 miles later it blew the head gasket . water came out the front by the belt. i used a Mitsubishi Composite Head Gasket. and stock head bolts. boost was set a 15 to 18 psi . using a Hallman Pro Series controller . mods are as follws. big 16, evo exhaust manifold, evo o2 adapter, complete Dejon Tool inntercooler Pipes, K&N air filter and hacked maf, 2nd gen pistons, comp angle valve job, no balance shafts compresion was 145lbs on all 4 cyls which i think is kinda low but it was equal.

here is a pic.

Attachments

• picture 056.jpg
    picture 056.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 206
did u ever retourque the bolts? dive it around easy for 25 miles or so and retourque the bolts. from the looks of the pic it looks like the pressure on the gasket was uneven, smooth spots in center then the rough edge on the end.

yea that gasket looks bad all over may have been defective, did the car ever over heat? 1st 500 miles on a rebuilt engine is the most crucial. its best to drive without the thermostat in during breakin too to avoid any overheating

id check the head to make sure its not warped too tho

Originally posted by TalonR
It almost looks like the gasket was a bad egg to begin with.....just retouque the bolts after about 25 to 50 miles like what was said....I've had a couple go in different cars from lose bolts
i'am going to go with arp head studs which gasket should i use if i plan on boosting to 25 psi

Attachments

• picture 059.jpg
    picture 059.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 186
Originally posted by fasteclipse1992
yea that gasket looks bad all over may have been defective, did the car ever over heat? 1st 500 miles on a rebuilt engine is the most crucial. its best to drive without the thermostat in during breakin too to avoid any overheating

id check the head to make sure its not warped too tho

never overheated 180 therm. and vac. sysm. for air when installed

Attachments

• picture 057.jpg
    picture 057.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 181
do you think its from the gasket? since it had 200 miles its had the same readings and thier all the same so its not the rings or the head . maybe the gasket is to thick and it lowered the cc's . right now the gasket thicknes is .054 thats thick for crushed ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back