The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Blown Head Gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCDGexx

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2003
Murrieta, California
Hey guys, i was looking through autotrader today. And their was a talon for sale for $894. Its a 2g and from the picture it looks pretty decent. How easy is a blown head gasket to fix and about how much would it cost?

A decent shop would probably charge you around 4-500. You could save a lot of money by doing it yourself, just make sure you know what you're doing.

well i'm pretty new to DSM's so i probably couldn't do it by myself, but I have a good friend who could probably help. I was wondering how much the actual parts to fix it would cost?

yah, there was another thread similar to this...

New headgasket itself from Mitsu is about 60 bux.... you might as well change your valve cover gasket too since that'll be coming off.... They are 20-30 bux. New headbolts.... and see if timing belt was changed at its designated time. If not, definately do that along with the HG change to save on labor.

I did all this crap a year ago...got new headgasket, valve cover gasket, timing belt, and water pump. None of the parts themselves are that expensive. Good luck....and by the way....that is really cheap for a 2g. Is it cuz of the blown HG?

If the headgasket is blow, ask yourself, did anything else die before that? Keep a watchful eye! Take the plugs out and look for holes in the pistons, damage from valves, etc.

how hard would the work be to do by myself. I just turned 16 and get my licence on monday so I just want something cheap that will run even ifs it an N/T.....for now :thumb:

-Robbie

I would suggest NOT buying a car that needs work. ur going to hate ur self. im tellin you. If you JUST for ur license. get a car that is reliable that doesnt have alot of problems. i hate to say this, but Get a honda.

I know, i know. Just for now. Save ur money, and get a NICE NICE 2gT or a 1gT. Make sure you get AWD too!

Originally posted by PogiTSI
i hate to say this, but Get a honda.

I'm not being sarcastic here, but that's a good idea. Every time my Talon breaks down, I always have the Prelude here to drive around. Wonderful, wonderful car.

Get something that doesn't have a lot done to it if anything at all. If I were looking for a new car, I'd look for a completely stock, granny driven car :thumb:

Good luck

it's more work then u can possibly fathem. Just get a car that is running. You will have a lot of stuff pop up along the way too, i gaurantee that. Broken studs on the manifold. Just getting the intake off is a PITA, even to take the manifold off with the head like i did, you have to get the intake support bracket off and that is a job in itself, especially for a newbie to dsm's. Setting the timing too, is no job for an amateur, you will probably end up bending valves. You have to buy or make special tools to set the proper tension on the timing belt. Then it might not be right, and you have to redo it again and again until it is on the mark. A good head gasket is not 60 bucks, more like 90 bucks. And if you are going to do it, buy ARP headstuds, those are 90-100 bucks, timing belt, belt tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, change the balance shaft belt and pulley, or to the BS elimination which all this stuff is more parts, then you have to change the water pump too, get one off ebay, intake manifold gasket, exh. mani gasket, anti-freeze, oil/filter, silicone, anti-seize, lock-tite, put it this way, there is a lot of
little stuff that adds up, i haven't even started.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back