The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Blown Head Gasket Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gDSM4g63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
San Jose, California
Would a blown head gasket or valve seal also cause erratic wideband a/f reading along with no boost and white smoke coming out of the exhaust or is that a separate deal with my fuel system?

Thick, sweet smelling white smoke is coolant burning.:| If you are pushing coolant it will throw you AFR reading off.

Have you done a compression test and a Leakdown test to make sure?

Yes, your HG is blown. Everything you described are symptons of a blown HG. When you replace it, go with a Mitsubishi MLS HG and ARP Headstuds and you'll be worry free until the next time you must remove the head.

Yes, your HG is blown. Everything you described are symptons of a blown HG. When you replace it, go with a Mitsubishi MLS HG and ARP Headstuds and you'll be worry free until the next time you must remove the head.

I already did ARP head studs and 4 layer Ralliart head gasket the first time around. Don't why it blown again.

Another thing, what will the compression test read? All four cylinder going to have low compression? And could it be another problem beside blown head gaskets? I mean this is a fully built motor and I haven't gotten a chance to run it hard.

Ok, other things could be.
1: cracked cylinder head
2: cracked block
3: cracked turbo center section if your using a water cooled turbo.

No not necessarily, will all of the cylinders measure low on a compression test. It could be just one or two depending on where it failed.

The most likely cause is one of the following, if it turns out to be a head gasket. (this is just from my expierence)
1: cylinder head was not flat prior to installing
2: engine block was not flay prior to installing
3: insufficient or incorrect torque on head blots/studs.
4: cylinder head /block surface finish incorrect for gasket type used
5: Poor tuning causing excessive heat build up, that was unable to be thermally conducted into the one of the engines methods for heat transfer.

Ok, other things could be.
1: cracked cylinder head
2: cracked block
3: cracked turbo center section if your using a water cooled turbo.

No not necessarily, will all of the cylinders measure low on a compression test. It could be just one or two depending on where it failed.

The most likely cause is one of the following, if it turns out to be a head gasket. (this is just from my expierence)
1: cylinder head was not flat prior to installing
2: engine block was not flay prior to installing
3: insufficient or incorrect torque on head blots/studs.
4: cylinder head /block surface finish incorrect for gasket type used
5: Poor tuning causing excessive heat build up, that was unable to be thermally conducted into the one of the engines methods for heat transfer.
6:HG not seated due to head studs being installed out of sequence (or imporperly torqed head studs)

My car maintains 20-22 hg and the head gasket leaks oil but not coolant so but will be replaceing as soon as my school money get here. I believe that the shop that did it didn't tq teh head bolts down correctly and that is what caused it to leak oil. But i will keep everyone posted on my progress.. I also have the white smoke from the exaust but its also coming from underneeth the hood.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back