The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Blowing smoke while idling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natedog831

Probationary Member
Dec 24, 2016
Salinas, California
Hello everyone, I'm new to dsmtuners and new to DSMs as well. Just bought my first dsm, 96 eclipse GSX with a rebuilt motor, 16g turbo, and other goodies.

Problem is I blow a ton of white/slightly blue (maybe slight gray, I'm a bit colorblind) smoke when I come to stop. I was sitting at a stoplight last night and smoked out the whole street. Don't blow to much when I first start the car. Don't blow smoke either I get on the gas or get into boost. But blow a ton when I idle for a while.

Did some research and it seems it could be a blown head gasket or something wrong with the turbo. Problem is motor was just rebuilt (6 bolt block) and the turbo spool up just fine. Running stock boost on the 16g, no boost controller anyways.

Previous owner said it needs a tune, which is why is blows so much smoke but it has basicly stock black top injectors(450cc I believe) and it's at stock boost. It doesn't add up to me.

Take a look at the list of mods below, it should help. Still learning the ropes to these cars but any assistance is greatly appreciated !!

Attachments

• IMG_0004.PNG
    IMG_0004.PNG
    224 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
So the turbo not the problem, but had the brand new turbo put anyways. Pulled the manifold off like above , ports aren't wet at all like above. They're fine. We did a compression test,and it had good compression as well, 150psi all around. So it's still smoking a bit. It smells like gas a bit. I can't smell the difference or see the difference(color blind), but my mechanic believes it's running rich and I think I know why, or maybe found a clue..

Last edited:
It has a 10k pot mod done to it,since it has a 6bolt in it. Older dsmers may know what this is. For those that don't, here a link to an article about it. http://eatsleepdsmmag.com/10k-pot-mod-by-spooligan/

The point of the mod I guess is to help with a misfire issue, that's usually common when putting a 6bolt in a 2g. If you read the article you'll understand more, but it's suppose to lean your car out a bit when set right , but I think I have it set wrong and it's running really rich. If anyone has any other ideas or has experience with this mod please post

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back