The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Blowing Ignition Fuse on Accessory

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gophishy10

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
I've read a lot of the other threads on this and I can't figure anything out. So here's what is going on...I was doing some tuning the other day. I was turning around to do another run when the car shut right down. All my gauges, radio, gauge cluster shut off. I knew right away when I couldn't start it back up that I had blown a fuse. And I was right. So I replaced the fuse with another 30A fuse and tried to start the car and nothing. I started to investigate the problem. I had just done a battery relocation to my trunk so I figured it was that so I moved my battery back up to the engine bay. Tried again and nothing.
I'm not sure what else to do to find the problem. Things I've done so far include unplugging or cutting wires to the radio, pillar gauges, white gauge cluster, removed entire gauge cluster. Looked over all the wires that I believed were connected to things that powered up when I turned the key to accessory.

I had one idea...let me know if this will work...If I unplug all 4 harness plugs from the ECU to narrow it down. I can plug in one at a time and see if the fuse blows. Would it blow at all with none plugged in? Is this a possible way to narrow it down or no?

Someone please help!

I doubt unplugging the ECU will help as the short is most likely elsewhere. But you can try it if you want - just disconnect the battery first (before plugging or unplugging ECU) to prevent any possible voltage spike damaging the ECU. But if it does help, the short is then most likely inside the ECU.

Here's a proceedure for short finding: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...-partial-short-battery-drain.html#post1496998.

I was using that how to thread to try and find it. I'm not sure what all is connected to the ignition fuse though. This is very frustrating.

Look in wire diagrams. Things that are powered when on "accessory" (through 30A Ignition fuse) are cig lighter, wipers/washers, theft alarm, cruise, door locks, radio, mirrors. They also all have fuses on them.

Thanks I figured it out after tearing apart my entire interior. It turned out the lower plug on my clutch pedal somehow broke or has been broke. The metal ends on it got stuck in the spring on the clutch pedal and was shorting it out. Thanks for all the suggestions and help though. I appreciate it!

I am in the same boat right now. My interior is torn apart and can't find the cause. Right when the key turns to acc, the fuse pops.

I am in the same boat right now. My interior is torn apart and can't find the cause. Right when the key turns to acc, the fuse pops.

Update here.

Tore apart the interior and have found some wires from an old aftermarket alarm install. I took all those wires out, double checked all the wires from the fuel pump rewire. Nothing. Everything that is associated with the ACC, I checked the fuse and wiring.

Read no here about trying the ecu, while having the connectors plugged back in one at a time. Nope, the moment the key goes to the ACC position, the fuse pops.

Electrical is my worst subject. I am stumped?

Would the alternator cause it? That fuse is still intact.

Well about to dive back into the engine and look for more wires.

Good luck man. I'm not too good with electrical myself. I came across the broken plug by chance. It ended up frying my eprom ecu and I'm still having issues now. Every once in a while, the car will almost die out on me and my wideband gauge and oil pressure gauges will reset themselves. The radio would do this too. I removed the radio and put in an old ecu I had and now it doesn't blow the fuse but I'm having the dying issue. It's really weird.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back