The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Blower motor not working... [heater speed control resistor]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1992

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2003
Springfield, Missouri
Motor and tranny are in my old parts car, AKA my new daily driver. I converted the 90 talon to all 91 wiring along with 91 engine wiring. Well its cold/rainy and I finally decide to take it out for a good 20 min drive (NO plate/tags/insurance cant go far) Took me a good 5 mins to figure out how to get the windshield wipers workin LOL, So then the windows start foggin up since its 35 degree's outside. I go to turn the heat on and i get nothing No air comes out until I turn it to the last dial (full blast) can someone explain to me if something isnt hooked up its chilly and i wanna go drive, and i cant see through the fogged up window.

I let it sit warming up for 30 mins and I got no heat either just cold air coming through the vents

Ok took some of my dash apart to find the AC/HEATER cable came off, also the recirculate cable was loose so that ones fixed to. I got heat again!!!! Ok now wheres the selector cable at for switching feet/defromt/middle is that on the driver side?

Why dont i get any air coming out the vents until i turn it to full blast? Maybe the electronic connector in back isnt plugged in or its bad?

Originally posted by Mike1992
Why dont i get any air coming out the vents until i turn it to full blast? Maybe the electronic connector in back isnt plugged in or its bad?
Do you mean the fan's not running? It's controlled by a resistor pack in the heater housing. Sounds like your low-speed/medium are dead.

yes the fans not even turning on until i turn the switch all the way. seems like slow, medium, medium fast dont work but warp speed works

wheres this resistor pack/heater housing?

I think I found it. Round silver thingy with 4 metal prongs (Behind Glove Box) I turn car on i get air on full blast, i remove the resistor try to turn air on and get nothing. hmm what the hell...

Is this a common problem? I've been on the board for about 6 months and havent heard anything like this come up B4? And it should be a universal part 90-94 correct?

which one of these is the blower motor resistor?

Another quest. whats all the white crap around the coils on the black plastic one in the pic?

Attachments

• resistor.jpg
    resistor.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,929
Thanks Defiant Ill be posting back by tonight, ima go to the junkyard again and grab a couple of these things, i went to the junkyard twice testerday thinking the silver thing was the resistor dangit, well i got 4 silver thingies

As usual Defiant was right and the problem has been solved. I went to the junkyard and pulled 2 of these things. what a PITA! The one I put in my car was complete with no porcelin missing, the rear of it was a complete white rectangle as the one I pulled outta my car had the whole back missing (maybe rotted away) so the coils were exposed. And the little hingy bar thing on the side of mine was kinda hanging out there as the new one I got seemed to be soldered onto the unit. Thanks Defiant now I got air on 4 speeds instead of 1!

PS: The dealer wanted $20 for this part and they said its universal from 90-99 E/T/L's to 3000GT's and Stealths.

Mike1992 said:
As usual Defiant was right and the problem has been solved. I went to the junkyard and pulled 2 of these things. what a PITA! The one I put in my car was complete with no porcelin missing, the rear of it was a complete white rectangle as the one I pulled outta my car had the whole back missing (maybe rotted away) so the coils were exposed. And the little hingy bar thing on the side of mine was kinda hanging out there as the new one I got seemed to be soldered onto the unit. Thanks Defiant now I got air on 4 speeds instead of 1!

PS: The dealer wanted $20 for this part and they said its universal from 90-99 E/T/L's to 3000GT's and Stealths.

I just had to order one for my Eagle at the Mitsu dealer

part number on my invoice is MR315836, FYI it was special order 2 days 21.08 b4 tax.
I ahd called the dealer near my dads place and they were idiots and did not want to look it up in CAPS so I went to my local guy. Just hope that is it and it gets here before I have to go pick up the car in MS on Sunday.

Dangit, I hate necroposting, but......

OK, I had almost the same problems - isolated down to what I now think is the resistor pack.

Mike1992 above mentioned that he found both the resistor pack as well as the relay "behind the glovebox," the same location as he found the relay.

However, my relay is UNDER the dash on the passenger's side under a cosmetic (with minor air ducts) panel held on by interior pop-clips.

Help a newbie out....where's the resistor pack located, exactly? :confused:

Oh, and I'm a 92 N/T Eclipse. :p

Thanks!

-A :dsm:

Got it! :thumb:

For future reference on 1Gs (remember, all, I've got a '92 :dsm: GS DOHC) -

The blower/heater resistor is behind the glovebox.

No removal of the glovebox is necessary - just pop it out of its usual place by bending in the sides in order to clear the stops. Let it just hang free (like a dislocated jaw), and you should have plenty of space to reach behind and access this component.

It's up and to the left, towards the center console. Affixed by two 7mm hex-head screws. It's cut for Phillips, but I found using a ratchet wrench to be the easiest way to get the unit out due to the low clearance. It's easier if you just unplug the wiring clip leading to the component, as it will allow you a little easier access to the top screw.

My ceramic was actually just fine - it was the contacts/leads that were almost completely oxidized. This is, of course, a common problem on most older cars, regardless of brand/make.

Thanks again to all!

-A :cool:

Did a search and nothing helped me...

My blower motor does not blow any air at any of the speeds. It does click when I put it into high but thats it. It just clicks and does not blow any air.

What I have done so far...

-Check blower motor directly to battery and it works.
-Check fuses under drivers side dash.
-checked blower motor resister aend relay directly under motor.
-checked the mutlitple speed switch as well.

I have a 90 TSI AWD who's air works and I swapped parts back and forth and nothing worked from the 90 to make my 92 work. What else can I check?

Is the clicking from a relay? Ignition swtch should activate the heater relay (thru 10A fuse)which supplies power to blower motor (thru a 30A fuse). The other side of the motor has a relay (to ground) if have A/C for the high position and resistors for the others. They all connect to the blower switch which 90% of the time is the problem. Touch the non power side of the blower motor to ground to make sure that works. Then each position wire on the blower switch. If they all work , your blower switch (or wiring) is the problem.

My blower motor in my 1991 TSi AWD does not come on when I turn the fan control on. When I turn it up all the way, I can here a small silver cylindrical shaped relay click. I have checked all my fuses and do not know what to check next or what the problem is. Ideas?

Scrymerr said:
My blower motor in my 1991 TSi AWD does not come on when I turn the fan control on. When I turn it up all the way, I can here a small silver cylindrical shaped relay click. I have checked all my fuses and do not know what to check next or what the problem is. Ideas?

I'd pull the relay and check to make sure it operates correctly when power is applied to it (use a multimeter and check continuity or resistance).

Other than that, it could be just the blower motor itself or the wiring to it. No way to really know without pulling the dash apart though. :toobad:

justincredible said:
Do you need to remove the glove box for easy access?
Glove box work on a 2G is absolute heaven- the two side stops slide toward the back of the car then remove to the inside of the box, the whole box swings down and empties itself on the floor, and there are two Philips-head screws right there. The brackets they hold have little notches in them to hold the door/box in place when you're putting it back in. It's one of the easiest, best designs I've ever seen in a car. :thumb:

Ok, finally got around to doing this...

Changed AC Resistor...still makes loud hum noise...

Took out blower motor, it was fine, but I found a ton of leaves/debris in it as well as...took those out tried it again and i finally got some air through the vents! Although, still made very loud humming noise :notgood:

Took all this stuff out again and while I was poking through the vents through the blower motor I found more leaves, and I do mean MORE...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I think I've come to the conclusion that the humming noise is because all of the leaves in there? There is still more leaves in there and I can't reach them through the tiny vents with my hands. First question is, how/can you remove this bottom part in the pic below? I circled the places where I took out the clips and screws. I know there are a lot of leaves in that area.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The second question is, how did all that junk get in there?

Any help will be appreciated, I wanna fix this myself! TIA!

I have the exact same problem. I can hear the click when I turn the switch to high so I think its a relay somewhere. Did you ever get it figured out?

Oh ya, sorry to bring back an old old post.

cody

Just in case someone else is having this problem, I figured mine out so I'll post what was wrong for future reference.

I took my blower motor apart and there is a spring with 2 metal pieces that slide on the end of them. They push on the center of the blower motor. Mine were completly off of the springs and just flopping around. I put them back how they were supposed to be(not hard to tell, really only one way they can go in) and it worked again.

Don't know if that will make all that much sense or not but it's kind of hard to explain.

Hope this helps somebody sometime.

Cody

My ac blower motor stopped working the first thing i did was check the heater relay fuse as advised by another article its fine then i checked the blower motor by just wiring it to the battery and it works fine the wires going to the blower have no power
does anyone know what wrong with it please post fast its really starting to get hot here in florida. 1990 eclipse gs nt

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back