The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Blow-off valve leakage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diz

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2002
Fillmore, California
I pressure tested my intake today and found the BOV leaking a bit, even being squashed, above about 20 psi. My question is - how much does a little leakage here hurt performance? Do I really need a different BOV? I'm trying to get max power out of my 14b motor and I don't want to give anything up due to a leak. On the other hand I don't want to spend a bunch if I'm not going to notice any E.T. difference. The car is fairly stock and has run 12.95/108 with poor traction...Opinions?

I broke a turbo before on another car due (I think) to not running a BOV. The turbo shaft broke.

Originally posted by Diz
I pressure tested my intake today and found the BOV leaking a bit, even being squashed, above about 20 psi. My question is - how much does a little leakage here hurt performance? Do I really need a different BOV? I'm trying to get max power out of my 14b motor and I don't want to give anything up due to a leak. On the other hand I don't want to spend a bunch if I'm not going to notice any E.T. difference. The car is fairly stock and has run 12.95/108 with poor traction...Opinions?

I broke a turbo before on another car due (I think) to not running a BOV. The turbo shaft broke.

BOV's are good, leaks are bad.

The downside to a leaking BOV is lower performance and more difficulty to tune. Definitely replace it.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm trying to max out my 14b also and i'm having trouble with my stock bov leaking down to 18psi in the top end rpms'. I tried the HI BOOST mod, and that mod was worthless w/o a vaccum port on the UICP for the new nipple. With the bov modded for high boost it fluttered at all boost levels and didn't open enough causing me to blow off my Lower IC pipe twice today. So me and a friend put it back to stock and now its back to holding 18psi w/ no problems....except for one. I'm trying to run about 22psi and it falls off to 18. I might try crushing it some to see if it'll help. Otherwards, i might have to look at some greedy type s or tial bov's. This sux.

ya i'm not sure if mine is leaking or wear the leak is coming from but when i get into boost i hear this high pitch squealing and not sure where the air leak is coming from but i just put the greddy type s on and lower ic pips so not sure yet

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back