The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Blew up motor need opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilslmj

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2018
Berwick, Pennsylvania
Whats up guys? Today i threw a rod and I'm undecided of what direction I wanna go. The current setup is awd swapped auto spyder. Has a sinister OG 8" core 1 so its very loose for a street car but makes for a lot of fun to launch. Motor was a wiseco piston eagle rod manley crank build but I've had problems with the motor from day 1 so I never expected it to last long.

So now I'm at the fork in the road and idk if I wanna build it up again and continue to shoot for a 600hp street/show car or if I just wanna throw in a stock rebuilt motor downgrade everything like the converter to stock converter go from t3 60mm turbo to something smaller like a hta86 on e85 that I can possibly spool up on the stock converter.

So I'm coming to you guys to get your thoughts on what you would do in my situation. Recently I have made alot of cosmetic changes to the car and its heading towards more of a show car and getting further away from a very clean/mint street/drag car that i originally intended. I just don't know what to do. I know either way I probably won't be happy cause if I downgrade ill be bored with it and itll feel so slow but if I build it again I hate the constant maintenance upkeep and issues that come with a 600+hp daily driven street car.

So whats your thoughts?
Here's a couple pics of the car currently. I have wheels ordered and on the way and was planning on paint soon until this whole disaster happened.

wheels pictured aren't wheels i will be ruining they were just for mock up to get an idea of what offset i would need

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Depends on money. Why did it toss a rod? That should have been fine at the power you where at?

I'm not sure honestly. I bought the motor already built and tore it down to inspect everything and upon inspection i noticed a few things that were half assed along the way so fixed what I seen and threw it in. After driving it I noticed a noise almost like a pulley was loose but I looked over everything and couldn't find anything that was causing the noise so I just continued to drive it. Figured eventually it'll let me know what it is. And we'll today was they day it let me know.

I have a spare 99 split thrust motor sitting here I pulled from another car and idk if I wanna just throw it in and downgrade everything to match or if I wanna tear it down and build it up. Id have to have the manley crank checked to make sure it wasn't damaged. I obviously don't wanna go crazy spending money but I'm alright with spending what it would cost to build the motor with similar parts in last motor except this time id know the motor was built right since ill be building it myself. This motor that went I bought last min from someone because I didn't have time to build one myself but since its end of season pretty much ill have all winter.

It would depend on money for me as well. If I were in your shoes, and had all winter to build it. I would just rebuild it to how it was with the same rod/piston combo. I also think that if you decided to downgrade everything you would possibly end up spending more money to buy the newer parts, then just what is needed to rebuild the bottom end. But once I build it up, I really don't believe I could go back to lower powers.

Your looking at $2000-$5000 depending on new or used and what needs machined, I personally wouldn't have allowed that to happen, its decisions like that, that cause parts to dry up at an insane rate.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing. "Retiring" the DSM and turning it into a pretty to look at and fun to drive on nice day car. Transmission parts among other things are just getting too scarce to whoop on these things and not worry. I have over 40k into this car over the last 18 years so it is hard to look at all those supporting mods and turn the thing down to safe hp. I helped scratch the itch by buying a MR2 spyder and did a 2zz swap in it along with suspension and have be autocrossing that and having a blast. Best part is I have $950 into the car and then another 4k into the motor swap, tires, and suspension. So my recommendation is to get this beautiful car back on the road and make it the cleanest DSM anyone has ever seen. Then save what you would pay for another built motor, buy a miata with a blown motor, stuff a stock $600 j35 from a honda accord or odyssey and go surprise people and have fun.

That sounds like a good idea. There's plenty of other things out there I can make fast and have an abundance of parts left. I could sell my current turbo and manifold and get 2/3 what I'd need to throw on a hta86 or fp green and still have fun and keep it tame on a stock motor. Ive got a lot to think about.

Dang man this hurts, sorry to see this happen to you. I've always been on the fence about making more power and building a motor for this exact reason. I have a blast in my spyder and I don't drive it daily so it is always fun to hop in and have some fun. I still at this power level have a blast, it looks nice and sounds great. There's still small things I want to do and squeeze more power out of it but getting into the 500+WHP range is always a gamble especially with certain drivetrain parts becoming hard to find nowadays.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing and good luck.

If your car looks bad ass,(which it does) then it needs to be bad ass. With that turbo setup you should be able to drop another built bottom end in and achieve the same goal you are after and it be just as reliable as if you were going to a smaller turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back