The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Bleeding lifters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SrKegler

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 29, 2004
Daytona Beach, Florida
I read the VFAQ and what the search showed for bleeding lifters. My problem is I have original 1G lifters. Hole isn't big enough to get a paper clip in, even the small ones. What did you guys use instead. Don't want to break a wire off inside.

I dont get the whole bleed the lifters thing,seriously guys whats the point,they say you must collapse them before installing them or you gonna bend valves,thats a pile of bull,do you go out and collapse them everytime before starting the car up,hope i didnot just start a revolution

I assume that if you have these full of oil when you start the car that when you crank it over all the lifters are going to have the same amount of oil in them. With them full they exert a pressure on the lobs of your cam/valves or what not. And when you crank it over the ones that should be empty but arn't (if empty have 0~pressure) are gonna put that pressure on the valve and cram it into your piston. They are self adjusting lashers, so they adjust themselves. They don't need us pumping them full. The reason you lube/prime them before install should be obvious dry metal in a heat/friction area doesn't work out to well even in short periods of time.

I would just do what every manual tells you to do.

As for sticking something in that small hole to pump them a cloth's pin. Or hit up an auto parts store for some safety wire that will fit in there. Wanna get the thickest gauge possible that will fit in hole.

I dont get the whole bleed the lifters thing,seriously guys whats the point,they say you must collapse them before installing them or you gonna bend valves,thats a pile of bull,do you go out and collapse them everytime before starting the car up,hope i didnot just start a revolution

They will bleed down by themselves over time, but exactly how long that takes is anyone's guess on any given car. As for "do you go out and collapse them everytime before starting the car up"... they are all in a known state in relation to the cams when you shut the car off, so it's not an issue.

When you replace them all, you don't know where they "want" to be once they are pumped up and working as planned...so to be safe you bleed them and let them all find their own happy place. :)

To the OP... I would seriously consider upgrading those stock lifters to the 3G revised lifters. You'll get better oiling and lose the famous DSM lifter tick in the process. They are around $100 from most places I think, and it's money well spent.

Ebay has been having some great deals on the 3g lifters. 63bucks for a lot of the postings, and most come with free shipping.

Tanks for all the help guys. I'll look into the 3G lifters. I didn't have lifter tick for some reason. My problem is knowing when to quit. This job was originally just to replace the head gasket.

Then I found out the head gasket came with valve stem seals. No sense wasting them so I dropped the head off to be refreshed.

Might as well replace the timing components since they're off the engine anyhow.

Then decided since I was already so far into the engine, might as well change rod brgs and rings.

It's just a little more work to remove the balance shafts.

Hmmm, that hose kit from Import Evolution looks nice.

JNZ sure has some nice looking vacuum hoses

Initially I had planned on spending around $400 for a new timing kit and the HG.

Better quit checking sites out, saw a 2.3 short block that looks sweet!!!!!

I'm up to about $1500 in parts and head work. Probably hve to tell the old lady I spent an extra grand at the titty bar just to stay out of trouble.

Tanks for all the help guys. I'll look into the 3G lifters. I didn't have lifter tick for some reason. My problem is knowing when to quit. This job was originally just to replace the head gasket.

Then I found out the head gasket came with valve stem seals. No sense wasting them so I dropped the head off to be refreshed.

Might as well replace the timing components since they're off the engine anyhow.

Then decided ...

Yup... a true DSM'er!

Check out my build blog....that all started with a simple radiator replacement. :D

Probably hve to tell the old lady I spent an extra grand at the titty bar just to stay out of trouble.

ROFL ROFL

Ehhh.... that's 180* out from most cases I think.

Nah, that just makes them girls from Tenn work that much harder to keep their man at home! It's weird but true, I don't know what's in the water down there but it needs to be bottled. The hell with California, I wish they all could be Tennessee girls!

To the OP, yeah things get escalated once you open the hood on a DSM. An oil change can turn into a rebuild if you start looking too close but at least you stopped short of installing new pistons and rods... this time :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back