The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Bleeding air from power steering line?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferp

Proven Member
Sep 14, 2014
Edmonton, Alaska
So my power steering pressure hose tore open today so I just tore it out and replaced it. Anyway a bunch of air got sucked into my power steering lines. Is there any faster way to bleed out the air then just turning the wheel extreme left/right and holding it for a few seconds and letting the air bubble out? The terrible whining sound is getting old (although not nearly as bad as it was initially).

Best way to bleed air after a line pump or rack. Is to jack the front up. Both wheels off the ground fill the fluid. Engine off. Then turn the wheel lock to lock a few times check fluid and repeat till no more bubbles come up. Having air in the system on a start up immediately causes the fluid to airate. You can see this with the cap off as small air bubbles coming up then being suck back down. This in turn makes small bubbles even smaller and more numerous This is hard on the power steering pump. Only way to de airate the system is let it set for a few hours and then do as stated above

Best way to bleed air after a line pump or rack. Is to jack the front up. Both wheels off the ground fill the fluid. Engine off. Then turn the wheel lock to lock a few times check fluid and repeat till no more bubbles come up. Having air in the system on a start up immediately causes the fluid to airate. You can see this with the cap off as small air bubbles coming up then being suck back down. This in turn makes small bubbles even smaller and more numerous This is hard on the power steering pump. Only way to de airate the system is let it set for a few hours and then do as stated above

All right thanks I'll do that tomorrow morning.

If that works for you, please repost and let us know. I need to do the same to mine. I also drive a 97 GST and I just replaced the pump yesterday and it still sounds awful. I'm pretty sure you should also let it idle while turning the wheel to get all the air out. I'll be working on mine this evening, I'll repost as well.

They also sell a tool that is usually for radiators that just applies vacuum, and once that's done you put the feed into the fluid and it sucks it what it needs.

If that works for you, please repost and let us know. I need to do the same to mine. I also drive a 97 GST and I just replaced the pump yesterday and it still sounds awful. I'm pretty sure you should also let it idle while turning the wheel to get all the air out. I'll be working on mine this evening, I'll repost as well.

Did this ages ago. Just had the front tires in the air and went back and forth for about ten minutes, having a friend add fluid as we went. Worked perfectly.

Vacuum bleeding is the easiest, fastest, and most efficient way to do it. I pull the system down to -20mmhg for 3-5 minutes 3 different times, checking the fluid level after each time. When you start it up it wont make a peep!

This is the exact tool I use for every job, fits almost anything, you just have to hold the rubber down until you get some vacuum going and then it will hold itself

Attachments

• 7220.jpg
    7220.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 153
Did this ages ago. Just had the front tires in the air and went back and forth for about ten minutes, having a friend add fluid as we went. Worked perfectly.
Yeah I just now noticed the date on that post LOL my bad

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back